Where to go from Nikon D7200?

mo7ablp7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello everyone,

A month ago I just got my first DSLR, I've been doing iPhoneography for quite a long time now and decided to go for a pro cam so I got the D7200. I'm pleased with the outcome and everything but I feel like a full-frame camera can do better, am I correct? It's crop sensor and full-frame will provide better image quality, bigger sensor, more light,... I think after a year or two I might make the move anyway.

My thoughts were sell the D7200 now, while it's still new and before I invest in lenses, add more money and get a full frame camera. I also think the Canons are more popular? Not that I care though - I like the Canon grip and Zoom in being just behind the shutter and ISO control being in the same area and not all the way to the left where I would require my left hand as well to shoot.

The main criteria is full-frame, image quality, Wi-Fi (yes, big deal) in that price range, maybe a bit higher. I can buy secondhand, it's fine by me, but let me know what to check for.

My style of shooting is around 14mm-50mm (full frame calculations) which translates to 10mm-30mm on crop so ultra wide, wide, street, some portraits, social media photography.

Any help?

I thought of the Canon 6D, but I have no clue yet, it's a bit old.

Thanks in advance,

You can't possibly have even scratched the surface of how good a d7200 can be in a month.

How do you think you can do better.
Can you provide examples of your current photography for critique and where you think it is falling short ?

You can move your ISO button to the Record button on the D7200 .. so it's on your right hand.

A month ago I just got my first DSLR, I've been doing iPhoneography for quite a long time now and decided to go for a pro cam so I got the D7200. I'm pleased with the outcome and everything but I feel like a full-frame camera can do better, am I correct?

Only if a better, more experienced photographer is using it. But at least you will keep the camera industry happy by changing cameras on a monthly basis.

You can't possibly have even scratched the surface of how good a d7200 can be in a month.

True, and I haven't but if I'm going full frame in a year, two or maybe three - might as well do it now, the difference is 100$-300$.

Can you provide examples of your current photography for critique and where you think it is falling short ?

You can move your ISO button to the Record button on the D7200 .. so it's on your right hand.

How can I do that?

A month ago I just got my first DSLR, I've been doing iPhoneography for quite a long time now and decided to go for a pro cam so I got the D7200. I'm pleased with the outcome and everything but I feel like a full-frame camera can do better, am I correct?

Only if a better, more experienced photographer is using it. But at least you will keep the camera industry happy by changing cameras on a monthly basis.

It's only a purchase perspective I developed. I don't like temporary solutions which the D7200 is considered as such as opposed to a 'pro' full frame. I haven't seen a pro who doesn't use Full Frame.

... I haven't seen a pro who doesn't use Full Frame.
Define "Pro". I've seen photographs from a lot of so-called "Pros" taken with a cell phone. I've also seen photographs from "Pros" taken with everything from 35mm SLR's to 120 to 4x5 to everything else. It isn't the camera that makes a "Pro" it's ability. I'd recommend learning your craft first and then worrying about what camera body you are using.

Used Nikon D610...available here for $899 at walk-in retail in the used case at a large photo store. WiFi is not a currently popular built-in option on full-frame cameras however, but a couple of the lower-end Nikon and Canon crop-body models do offer bluetooth connectivity built-in. And WiFI can be added to NIkons by accessory plug-in module.

I dunno...Nikon DX (crop-sensor size) and Nikon FX are different "animals"...lenses act differently on them, so depends on the lenses you have. I prefer the way the prime lenses (20,24,28,35,50,85,300mm) behave on FX sized sensor, AND the quality of the lenses designed for the FX cameras.

Still, there's a lot to be said for the DX-NIKKOR lens lineup, but it has fewer specifically-DX lenses than the FX line.

Agreed, Canon 6D seems a bit old. Personally, I think the D7200 is as good an image-maker as has ever been made in a DX-size body, and that "the camera" is not really the liniting factor for a beginning dslr shooter. I dunno...I made three fantastic photos yesterday on my cell phone's camera, shots I am VERY proud of...so, if you were into iPhoneography, perhaps you really might want a SMALLER camera, one more easily carryable, than a D7200? Going to an FX-sized camera might be the wrong way to go! What about a Sony A6300 or other SMALLER camera?

Hello everyone,

A month ago I just got my first DSLR, I've been doing iPhoneography for quite a long time now and decided to go for a pro cam so I got the D7200. I'm pleased with the outcome and everything but I feel like a full-frame camera can do better, am I correct? It's crop sensor and full-frame will provide better image quality, bigger sensor, more light,... I think after a year or two I might make the move anyway.

My thoughts were sell the D7200 now, while it's still new and before I invest in lenses, add more money and get a full frame camera. I also think the Canons are more popular? Not that I care though - I like the Canon grip and Zoom in being just behind the shutter and ISO control being in the same area and not all the way to the left where I would require my left hand as well to shoot.

The main criteria is full-frame, image quality, Wi-Fi (yes, big deal) in that price range, maybe a bit higher. I can buy secondhand, it's fine by me, but let me know what to check for.

My style of shooting is around 14mm-50mm (full frame calculations) which translates to 10mm-30mm on crop so ultra wide, wide, street, some portraits, social media photography.

Any help?
Frankly, your current style can be handled very nicely by your cell phone. Ultra wide, wide, street, social media, and Wi-Fi, is calling out for (screaming for) a cell phone. (Maybe not portraiture.)

Canons are more popular mainly with Canon users. Nikons are more popular with Nikon users.

As long as your gear-acquisition gland is governed by your opinion that a "full-frame" camera is the better choice, then I think your only response should be to trade up, the sooner the better, and don't look back.

It's only a purchase perspective I developed. I don't like temporary solutions which the D7200 is considered as such as opposed to a 'pro' full frame. I haven't seen a pro who doesn't use Full Frame.

Well now you have, I am a professional real estate photographer that uses the D7200, nice to meet you.

9700-Preakness-share.jpg
9700-Preakness-share-2.jpg
9700-Preakness-share-3.jpg
9700-Preakness-tiff-50-aerial-share.jpg
4586 CR 696-60jpg0008.jpg
4586 CR 696-14 copyjpg0006.jpg
11543-Wicketts-56jpg0007.jpg
11543-Wicketts-enfuse-7jpg0008.jpg
10215-Hyannisport-TF (4).jpg
10215-Hyannisport-TF (8).jpg

FINE photos, Parker219. Look what that D7200 can do! No...wait...it's not just the camera, it's the person behind it!

Thank You.

Just like everyone else in this thread, I want to see a photo the OP has taken with his d7200 where having a full frame camera would have made better.

Last edited:
I have FX cameras with WiFi and a DX pro with Wifi.
The Nikon d750 and d500.
The wifi is a big battery drain.
but the wifi capabilities vary between all the cameras even all the nikons. So do your research in depth.

I'll be doing a shoot where I need fast upload to the internet for team US Soccer stuff. After testing a few things out I will be handing the SD card to an assistant who will be uploading the images immediately after each team shots. And rotating the SD cards.

The wifi can be set to transfer from small to RAW files. But for speed you need the VGA social media file. The raw takes forever . But different. From d750 which is limited to JPEG but the d500 can transfer RAW files.

A mirrorless you tend to go through a bunch of batteries. But I would use the same process and skip wifi. The full size batteries on the DSLRs has the advantage of battery life for this plus I'll be using fill flash.

My iPhone I can use a SD card reader too if needs but wil be using a laptop using an iPhone wifi to the internet. I have a portable telescope battery which will support the laptop and iPhone charging.

So wifi is cute for the consumer crowd and I think someone here was talking about Pro Sports to get photos quickly uploaded to customer. I tried this at a soccer game using my iPhones as the central device. A pita .. best with an assistant still. Lol

So you would have to know the process you want to support with wifi and make sure the camera can support it. They make add-one too but not sure what limitations exist based on camera body. The newer has more features.

Had the d600 too. The best do everything FX camera without all the bells and whistles.

Last edited:
D7200 reprogram video bUtton to ISO

I use this same reprogram on my d750.
The d600 can NOT do this
I found it very helpful with larger lenses while keeping it up to your face.

My d500 has a dedicated ISO button on the right.
That's the one thing I like about Canon, they have their buttons on the top right above the shoulder LCD panel.

Last edited:

True, and I haven't but if I'm going full frame in a year, two or maybe three - might as well do it now, the difference is 100$-300$.

How can I do that?

When I was a pro I used 35mm film which, of course, is "full frame.," although most of my work was done with larger format equipment. When film disappeared I switched to a Nikon D80, DX format with a 10 or 12 mp sensor (I forgot which.) I used it until it broke in 2014. I replaced it with a D7000 (pretty much a direct replacement) which I still have. The point is that the camera doesn't matter that much to great photography. The photographer, on the other hand, matters a lot.

The worst place I can imagine to get equipment advice is in an enthusiast web site like this one or an enthusiast blog. Enthusiasts are generally equipment oriented moreso than photography oriented. They love to go one about minutiae. It's fine. It is a hobby. But it isn't a good source for practical information. Ignore any comments that equipment will improve your photography. It almost never does.

Your camera can do more than you can make it do and will be so for several years. Quit worrying about equipment and spend some time doing photography. Your camera will do just fine. Sorry for the rant. I just wanted to clarify my earlier comment.

One last comment. I Upgraded my system just a couple of weeks ago. Did I upgrade to "full frame?" No I upgraded to mirrorless with an APS-C sensor. Has the new system changed my photography? Not a whit. Carry on.

There are lots and lots of proffesional photographers using MFT (even smaller sensor size than APS-C), like the Olympus E-M1 Mark I and Mark II and even the E-M5 MK II (for video you have the great Panasonic GH4 and Gh5 - My wedding was shot on a GH4).

If you think that, by trading a DX for an FX, will make you do better photos, you will be very disappointed :)

Most reactions

New Topics

Back