Where to refurb a Pentax K1000

sothoth

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
It's no frills, but it's also my favorite camera still! I've had a K1000 since I was in High School photography and I use it constantly.

Sadly, it needs some TLC. I live near the coast in California (Half Moon Bay area) and I have some corrosion on the screws and body, and I'm starting to have problems with the film advance lever sticking (probably corrosion is effecting that, too). So... I'd like to have it cleaned up.

Last time I did this, it was at a local photo store near Santa Cruz, but they're long gone now. The only other shop I know that did a good job at this doesn't do repairs anymore (I suppose they prefer selling disposable digital SLRs and I can't blame them).

I don't mind mailing it to a good shop and I'm fine buying a used one on eBay, seems like you can get one in good shape for ~$100, which is OK by me. I'd appreciate any input on this or recommendations for a repair shop.

Cleaning it will probably cost you more than getting a pre-owned one in good condition from E-bay. But, if you must repair it, search Google for the nearest shop or even Click_here.

Good luck.

I've sent 3 cameras to www.camerarepair.com, including a Widelux that I'd been told was unrepairable by a camera repair service that advertised itself as "nationally known for Widelux repair". Camerarepair.com fixed them all quickly, and for prices that I feel were pretty average as camera repairs go. You can even usually get an automated estimate just by visiting their site.

Anyone here refurbed a camera themselves? Is that worth an attempt? I see a lot of places selling K1000 parts. I'd have to disassemble the body (assuming that's possible) and clean up the corrosion and then replace the film advance mechanism (those are sold for a few bucks online).

Or is that just crazy talk?

If anyone here has experience with that, or knows how to get a parts/assembly diagram let me know. :)

I hate giving up on an a trusty old camera. I bid on a K1000 or two online thru ebay just in case I need to replace it.

Thanks!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back