Where would you go?

CraniumDesigns

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.stevendavisphoto.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, I got a new job, but I don't start until Monday the 17th. So I got a little over a week to kill. I live in the SF Bay Area. I wanna go somewhere in the state for a photo trip for 3-4 days. Money ain't really an object, but I'd like to keep it cheap. Keep in mind the oceans are kinda foggy and cloudless in the summer.

Where should I go? I'm thinking Yosemite or Tahoe.

I highly recommend Yosemite over Lake Tahoe. Tahoe is a great location however it isn't as rich in subjects. You have bodies of water, waterfalls, wildlife and the granite monoliths that stand over the Yosemite valley. The hikes to the top of glacier point and half dome are awesome...tons to do and tons to shoot.

The village is a good place to stay but since it's such a short notice availability might be an issue. There's the El Portal Inn down east about 30 minutes from the valley on 49 but a bit pricey.

Don't get me wrong Tahoe is great for a shoot especially during the winter season but 3-4 days might be too much for a big blue lake.

so, i'm thinking yosemite and mono lake. they're right next to each other.

any more ideas?

Yosemite would take up all of your time there is so much to see there. Look into some of the less public opportunities. Yes, half dome is nice, and would be great to have a shot of. But there is so much more there off the normal "Tourist" trail. Get a good hiking book on Yosimite, most have a good description of area's less traveled by the normal Tourists. You don't necessiarly have to go backwoods camping to get them. Could be just day hikes that normal tourists don't go because they are more than 100' yards from their bus or car.

This time of year, everyone and their brother is in the Valley (Yosemite).

Check out Tuolumne Meadows and Tioga Pass on your way to the east side of the mountains.

ok, so here's my planned itinerary. lemme know what u guys think...

day 1:
mono lake sunset

day 2:
lundy lake sunrise
bodie midday
mono lake sunset

day 3:
convict lake sunrise
bishop midday
bristlecone sunset

day 4:
mobius/lathe arch sunrise

i've never been to any of these places, so if you have any tips for when i go and how to get there, that would really help. im buying a nice garmin gps today to help me out :)

.... have you already gone?

I am envious - great trip!

If you get into Lone Pine you could take a quick stop at the Vistor's Centre just south of town. I think it is run by the USFS called "Whitney Portal" or something like that. They can give you a detailed map of the Alabama Hills.

Sure you don't have another day to run down into Death Valley?...;)

have fun, ........ Dave

.... have you already gone?

I am envious - great trip!

If you get into Lone Pine you could take a quick stop at the Vistor's Centre just south of town. I think it is run by the USFS called "Whitney Portal" or something like that. They can give you a detailed map of the Alabama Hills.

Sure you don't have another day to run down into Death Valley?...;)

have fun, ........ Dave

i ended up shooting sunset and sunrise at mono twice, shooting bodie midday yesterday with some nice fluffy clouds, and doing convict lake late this morning. crap sky but good composition. will go back.

tried to get into bristlecone forest today, but my lowered scion tc couldnt handle the road. kept scraping, so ended up just coming home. normally i would stay longer, but car camping it and no access to a shower got old after 2 nights.

pictures coming soon. got a lot to process. feel free to add me as a contact on flickr if u wanna see em all as i add them, or on my facebook fan page.

Most reactions

Back