Which beginner camera for start?

I listed the features I wanted in a digital camera based on my film SLR,
* View finder.
* Zoom lens.
* Manual adjustments.

I got those and many more; because like power windows in a automobile, they came as part of the "standard" equipment on my Canon T6 and also on several other brands.

It did however open a can of worms, when it comes to tinkering with all the features.

she asked once in Apr 5 and never came back ... she has probably different hobby now (like playing on some musical instrument or a paint art ...)
Yes, I thought so, but still figured I'd respond for anyone else who comes across this forum with similar questions :)

As many have already said; start with your budget. Then work out what you want to shoot. You haven't mentioned lens at all and that is governed (mostly) by what you want to shoot. Until you can seriously write down what you need the camera to do for you in those terms you are going to struggle with being able to make any decision.
Like others I would recommend used and then you will will have more of your budget for a really good lens (or lenses) rather than a standard kit lens.
Make is really down to you and how it feels; go into a store and try some out you may find the ergonomics of Nikon don't suit you. It might be worth renting a camera or two to really try out on a couple of trips and see how they work for you before you make a real investment.

I do not own a digital camera, so pardon my ignorance.
But.............is there no demand for a "Stripped Down" Digital SLR.?
Good Grief, just pick one.
Something "Similar" to a -----
F2
F3
Canon F1
Pentax KX K2
OLY OM3
Etc etc etc
Obviously it would do AF but have a VF with a focus aid for MF as well, and at least have Aperture Priority if not Shutter.

But a Digital SLR that was intuitive to use with just a few knobs on it is all.
The one modern SLR i used did not have a focus scale on the lens. Not even sure if it had an aperture ring. It was horrible to try to manual focus.
I suppose THAT horse left the barn many years ago.?

I am really behind the times. I suppose the Digital SLR is dead anyway, as far as new production.?
Kind of like wanting a manual transmission in a circa 2020 automobile. :)
No current digital (or film) SLR comes with any manual focus aids on the screen, like the micro-prism or split-image rangefinder that manual focus cameras would use. High-end cameras might have interchangeable screens so the user could add that feature, but the current crop of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras have no such manual aids.

The closest they come is a digital indicator of focus. For example, Nikon has an "in-focus" LED in the viewfinder to show that whatever subject is in the selected AF sensor area is in focus, and if it's not, there are indicators for which direction to turn the focus ring.

Basic lenses have no focus distance indicator. Those cost money and make the lens more expensive, and serve no purpose in an auto-focus world. Better-quality lenses will have a distance indicator. Aperture rings disappeared long ago, for Nikon, anyway, in favor of electronic settings on the camera body. This isn't because the cameras are digital instead of film, it's because they're electronic instead of mechanical. Even the F4 will use Nikon's G-series lenses, which have no aperture ring, even though those lenses didn't exist when the F4 came out.

So some of the things you're saying are missing are simply unnecessary in an auto-focus world, and others are because mechanical linkages between body and lens have been replaced with electronic controls. It really has little to do with film vs. digital photography.

No current digital (or film) SLR comes with any manual focus aids on the screen, like the micro-prism or split-image rangefinder that manual focus cameras would use. High-end cameras might have interchangeable screens so the user could add that feature, but the current crop of DSLRs and mirrorless cameras have no such manual aids.

The closest they come is a digital indicator of focus. For example, Nikon has an "in-focus" LED in the viewfinder to show that whatever subject is in the selected AF sensor area is in focus, and if it's not, there are indicators for which direction to turn the focus ring.

Basic lenses have no focus distance indicator. Those cost money and make the lens more expensive, and serve no purpose in an auto-focus world. Better-quality lenses will have a distance indicator. Aperture rings disappeared long ago, for Nikon, anyway, in favor of electronic settings on the camera body. This isn't because the cameras are digital instead of film, it's because they're electronic instead of mechanical. Even the F4 will use Nikon's G-series lenses, which have no aperture ring, even though those lenses didn't exist when the F4 came out.

So some of the things you're saying are missing are simply unnecessary in an auto-focus world, and others are because mechanical linkages between body and lens have been replaced with electronic controls. It really has little to do with film vs. digital photography.
Great Reply.....Thank You
As you might have guessed, i do not own anything newer than a Nikon F2 or Canon F1-N
I own a Minolta X570. That might be my "newest" body, but it is not AF and uses the same lens technology as my Nikon and Canon. :)

Anyway...........thanks again for the info.
I Appreciate It

The one thing that rarely get mentioned is "feel".

As trite as that my sound, once past a certain cost point; the nuances such as weight, hand fit, balance and ease of menu option access, jump to the forefront.

Same with musical instruments, radio gear, telescopes etc.

Hi, I am looking to buy a camera for more of a travel, portrait photography use. I have been researching on youtube etc for the past week and my head is just getting more and more confused haha!

I was initially looking at NikonD7500 as it seems like a very good DSLR camera although it doesn't have the flipping screen option to tilt... I would ideally want a camera that has:

1.A flipping screen

2.Remote shutter release

3.GPS

4. Wifi (I heard that the snap bridge app is quite bad with Nikon)

I was also looking at Canon 200D but then not sure... Usually, people say Nikon is better for photos and Canon for videos.. I would appreciate any advice on models that could be good for me? :) Thank you
If what I read is any indication, Canon seems to appeal to amateur and the less knowledgeable photographers. You can go to their web site and check the specifications of various models.

-

The wrong time to jump in perhaps!

The fuss around the mirrorless will bring a lot of very cool DSLRs
on the used market. At the same time, microprocessors scarcity
will strengthen the market value even for second hand gear.

Most reactions

Back