Which Camera [emoji328] should I buy mid-range +wifi for photoshoots?

Discussion in 'Canon Cameras' started by manuel87roma, Feb 15, 2018.

1. manuel87roma

manuel87roma TPF Noob!

Can others edit my Photos:
    Photos OK to edit
    Hi there!
    I would like to ask you some advises:
    I like photography as hobby and I would like to buy a camera not too expensive (mid-range) with wifi that allows me to take great photoshoot in portrait mode, I’ve been looking around and I have seen some sample photos taken with the lens EF 85mm f1.8 USM (or even better with the f1.2) and I just love the way they look, with a great blurry background.

Maybe I was thinking to get a mirror less camera (Ex. Canon M5 or M6) what do you think? Because is Lighter and smaller but I’m afraid that the combo with lenses and the overall quality is not as good as a DSLR camera.

Just need some advises from you guys that probably have much more knowledge than me.

Thank you very much

Here some photos taken with the lens canon 85mm f1.8 ums that I’ve found on google

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2018
  2. Overread

Overread has a hat around here somewhere Staff Member Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Note - please don't upload/embed photos that you don't own to the forums. We ask instead that you link to them from the original source please.

Honestly if you want portraits with that smooth background effect, chance are you want a fulflrame - 35mm - camera body at the very least. Many mirrorless (but not all) often use a smaller sensor size. Also don't forget that smaller and lighter is one thing, but honestly if you're going for a larger sensor for that effect, then the lenses for a mirrorless 35mm won't be any smaller than for a regular camera; and sometimes a smaller body doesn't help with hand holding nor weight distribution

• Like Like x 1
  3. idcanyon

idcanyon No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    Canon's mirrorless M5/M6 have APS-C sized sensors, same size as Canon's crop-frame DSLR's so you lose nothing in that area. I don't know what size sensor your example photos were taking with. Its true that a full frame sensor will give a shallower depth of field, but only a little, and diving straight into full frame is very expensive. A 85 f/1.8 lens will still serve you well on a APS-C and would make a good portrait lens for outside or inside if all you want to do is head shots.

• Like Like x 1
  4. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    What is your budget?

• Like Like x 1
  5. manuel87roma

manuel87roma TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    Actually I also have to say that I own a CANON REBEL T1i, do you think that would be just enough to use the EF 85mm f1.8 USM?? Or is better to sell it and get another one either mirrorless or DSLR?

6. manuel87roma

manuel87roma TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    The budget have to be not too high (not over 800$) and actually I also have to say that I own a CANON REBEL T1i, do you think that would be just enough to use the EF 85mm f1.8 USM?? Or is better to sell it and get another one either mirrorless or DSLR?

7. manuel87roma

manuel87roma TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    I was looking on line for some cheap kinda small and compact DSLR cameras and I found this:

Cheapest DSLR Cameras with Wifi

Which one would you pick ??
    These ones should be working good with the EF 85mm f1.8 or 1.2 UMS RIGHT?
    Of course, eventually I also would like to take in consideration the use of another lens for sports and fast action.

8. idcanyon

idcanyon No longer a newbie, moving up!

Photos NOT OK to edit
    A newer mirrorless or DSLR with the same size sensor will be an improvement but for portraits the difference may be too little to notice. That largely depends on the environment in which you are taking photos. Your complaint--depth of field--is all lens and none camera. I'm going to guess that a camera upgrade is going to do next to nothing for you. Get the 85mm f1.8 first and then think about a camera later.

Also consider a 50mm f1.4, as it may actually give you results that are nearer to what you are looking for. Since you have a APC-C camera this turns into a 75mm equivalent. Posting a link to the image you are trying to replicate might be helpful.

• Like Like x 2
  9. waday

waday Do one thing every day that scares you Supporting Member

Photos OK to edit
    Like @idcanyon said, your main complaint is depth of field. Then, you want wifi.

If you get the 85 f/1.8, you'll probably notice a big improvement in image quality over your current lenses (I'm assuming you have the kit lenses). But, recognize that the images you posted (from what I recall before they were removed) were highly stylized with off camera lighting and likely some post-processing.

Does the T1i have wifi? I don't recall. Is wifi absolutely required? If so, you'll need to look for a different body or other ways to get the images from the camera to your device wirelessly.

10. manuel87roma

manuel87roma TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit
    No the T1i doesn’t have wifi, is just because with wifi is so much easier to send photos to the devices.. that’s why I would like eventually to get a wifi one..

11. Derrel

Derrel Mr. Rain Cloud

Photos OK to edit
    If you like the 85mm f/1.8 lens and you are after multiple types of truly blurred-out backdrops, then buy yourself a Full-frame Canon 6D-II or better yet, a Nikon D610 and 85mm f/1.8 AF-S G lens.

Small-sensored cameras (like APS-C aka 1.5x or 1.6x FOV cameras), or m4/3 sensor cameras, have greated depth of field, and blur backdrops less on "people pictures" with the 85mm lens length, due to the camera-to-subject distances that the sensor size forces the photographer to stand at.

On a 6D, a full-length standing shot with an 85mm lens is from 20.0 feet; with a Canon 77D, the SAME lens, the 85mm, and the full-length shot wi8ll be made from 34.5 feet away...and that longer camera-to-subject distance will create MORE depth of field, and LESS blurring behind the subject. Simple optical facts; and best of all, on-line field of view and depth of field calculators can prove these basics to anybody.

I think "I get" what you want to accomplish....a full-frame camera, a 24x 36mm sensor size, makes the 85mm f/1.8 lens an amazing portraiture tool!

I would forget WiFi, honestly...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  12. OldCam

OldCam TPF Noob!

Photos OK to edit

Wow, the cameras on that link are really cheap.. i would advise you a Sony. And if you're not sure about buying a special brand or type there is a possibility to rent them for a week or longer and get the feel.

I agree with Derrel, APS-C sensors are great. Although who wouldn't want a full sensor ;)