Which Camera [emoji328] should I buy mid-range +wifi for photoshoots?

If you were to buy a new body (but on an $800 budget I suggest you do not) the body you would probably want to look at is the EOS Rebel SL2. The SL2 has the same sensor as the Canon T7i / 77D... but significantly less expensive.

However... to get background blur, what you need are:

long focal length lenses
low focal ratio lenses
close subject focusing distance... with a distant background (separate the subject from the background).

Here's a PixelPeeper link with examples:

Full-size sample photos from Canon 85mm F/1.8

Pixel Peeps indexes images uploaded to Flickr that include their EXIF data so they know what camera body, lens, exposure settings were used. They then allow you to be nit-picky about finding examples.

The filter in the link above says it has to be an example of the Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens AND it has to be on a Canon APS-C camera body AND it has to be using an aperture in the range of f/1.8 to f/2.8 (you can control all these settings in their search controls).

So these are representative examples of what other people get using that lens at low focal ratios with an APS-C sensor body.

I wouldn't worry about getting a new camera and WiFi... instead if you really want to see the results in near real-time, buy a USB tethering cable. It's basically the same as the USB cable that came with your camera... but longer. Tethering cables are usually around 15 feet long. I picked up mine on Amazon and it was less than $10 (I think it was maybe $7). This will let you leave the camera connected to the computer and you can use tethering software such that you see the images come in on the screen just a few seconds after you take the shot.

I happen to own a CamRanger ... which is a module that gives any camera WiFi... but they cost a few hundred dollars and now that many new models have built-in WiFi... I don't see the point.

Just know that RAW images are what you really want to shoot if you want control... but RAW image files are big and they take a while to transfer. To get around this, many of the WiFi systems are really converting the RAW to a JPEG and transferring the JPEG (much faster) for "review" purposes... and you can pull the true RAW across if you want it (the true RAW files are left on the memory card.) This is especially true if you use a smartphone or tablet (they don't support true RAW files).

Based on your $800 budget, buying a new lens AND buying a new camera body is going to break the budget (for any camera that would be an improvement over what you own). But ultimately the lens will make the bigger difference. If you want the blurred background... a longer focal length + low-focal-ratio lens is going to get you there mores that anything else. I'd do that first and worry about a new camera body later.

Thank you so much very good explanation. I think I’m going to keep the EOS rebel T1i for the moment and buy the lens 85mm f1.8 or even better f1.2 UMS Which it seems to be a good lense for photoshoot portrait but also full body shoots where the subject is in the full frame of the photo.

What do you think?

If you were to buy a new body (but on an $800 budget I suggest you do not) the body you would probably want to look at is the EOS Rebel SL2. The SL2 has the same sensor as the Canon T7i / 77D... but significantly less expensive.

However... to get background blur, what you need are:

long focal length lenses
low focal ratio lenses
close subject focusing distance... with a distant background (separate the subject from the background).

Here's a PixelPeeper link with examples:

Full-size sample photos from Canon 85mm F/1.8

Pixel Peeps indexes images uploaded to Flickr that include their EXIF data so they know what camera body, lens, exposure settings were used. They then allow you to be nit-picky about finding examples.

The filter in the link above says it has to be an example of the Canon 85mm f/1.8 lens AND it has to be on a Canon APS-C camera body AND it has to be using an aperture in the range of f/1.8 to f/2.8 (you can control all these settings in their search controls).

So these are representative examples of what other people get using that lens at low focal ratios with an APS-C sensor body.

I wouldn't worry about getting a new camera and WiFi... instead if you really want to see the results in near real-time, buy a USB tethering cable. It's basically the same as the USB cable that came with your camera... but longer. Tethering cables are usually around 15 feet long. I picked up mine on Amazon and it was less than $10 (I think it was maybe $7). This will let you leave the camera connected to the computer and you can use tethering software such that you see the images come in on the screen just a few seconds after you take the shot.

I happen to own a CamRanger ... which is a module that gives any camera WiFi... but they cost a few hundred dollars and now that many new models have built-in WiFi... I don't see the point.

Just know that RAW images are what you really want to shoot if you want control... but RAW image files are big and they take a while to transfer. To get around this, many of the WiFi systems are really converting the RAW to a JPEG and transferring the JPEG (much faster) for "review" purposes... and you can pull the true RAW across if you want it (the true RAW files are left on the memory card.) This is especially true if you use a smartphone or tablet (they don't support true RAW files).

Based on your $800 budget, buying a new lens AND buying a new camera body is going to break the budget (for any camera that would be an improvement over what you own). But ultimately the lens will make the bigger difference. If you want the blurred background... a longer focal length + low-focal-ratio lens is going to get you there mores that anything else. I'd do that first and worry about a new camera body later.

Thank you so much very good explanation. I think I’m going to keep the EOS rebel T1i for the moment and buy the lens 85mm f1.8 or even better f1.2 UMS Which it seems to be a good lense for photoshoot portrait but also full body shoots where the subject is in the full frame of the photo.

What do you think?

I think you don't have any idea how much F/1.2 costs. You understand even less how hard it is to use and how little situations it fits. Buy the F1.8 for $400 and learn to use it. Watch some videos and practice, practice, practice. I'll eve give you a tip. Get as close as you can to the subject. Shoot half body. Get the subject as far away from the background as you can. Go try it, may be I just saved you $1000. After a 1/2 year if you like, change the camera. This is a great way to go. Also consider an off camera flash and if you buy 1, learn to use it. Get some diffusers and keep trying them. This will get you a lot further then a new camera.

I think you don't have any idea how much F/1.2 costs. You understand even less how hard it is to use and how little situations it fits. Buy the F1.8 for $400 and learn to use it. Watch some videos and practice, practice, practice. I'll eve give you a tip. Get as close as you can to the subject. Shoot half body. Get the subject as far away from the background as you can. Go try it, may be I just saved you $1000. After a 1/2 year if you like, change the camera. This is a great way to go. Also consider an off camera flash and if you buy 1, learn to use it. Get some diffusers and keep trying them. This will get you a lot further then a new camera.

Thank you very much for your advices, I think in fact I’m gonna get the 1.8 which is good enough for now and I will prob keep my camera for the mom. I think I can still get good shots with this lens and camera.

I purchased an SL2 as I mainly use it for just capturing moments of my family and it has been working wonderfully. I also am using a 50mm 1.8 prime which has been really great for what I need. WiFi is really easy, has the remote capabilities which is nice as well as the touch screen dual focus for video which is actually really nice feature and tracks really well. Really nice and compact for travel I really can’t say anything bad about it. This is my first dslr and it really has the features i want, I don’t have any experience with higher end bodies so I can’t help you there but I haven’t been disappointed with it and it didn’t cost all that much.

Most reactions

Back