Which camera for low light photography?

I my self use a Canon Powershot 300HS for night time shooting works good and sometimes I use Canon Rebels XS but not as good at night as the Powershot 300 is! Just my $0.02 :)

On another note, that is an adorable picture... TOTALLY smiling!

Thank you :D

I had read through the stickies on the beginner's forum. I tried to take pictures with my S100 and G9 again last night, I'm starting to think my S100 has focusing problems. The G9 at ISO 800 can zoom in and focus with no problem, eventhough the image is very grainy and dark; but the S100 at ISO 1600 kept on focusing the background and not the subject. I then googled "S100 focusing problems" and found some other people claiming the same problem. If this is the case, then I might not need to invest in a DSLR, maybe a better quality P&S is the much cheaper solution. I know there is no comparison when it comes to image quality; but I seldom print out the pictures in large formats. The lower price tag and flexibility is a plus too. So I'm now searching if there are other P&S options to replace the S100. I realised there are some models with faster lens range, like Olympus XZ1 (f/1.8-2.5) and Fujifilm X10 (f/2.0-2.8). I'm reading up reviews now to see if they will out-perform my S100 (which I'm starting to think might be faulty). With the faster lens range, at least the image will not completely black out when I zoom in?

I think what is making this somewhat hard for you is that you're trying to compare tools using words when the result of those tools is a visual medium. That makes it hard to really get a picture (in your minds eye) of these quality differences people are talking about.

Personally I'd suggest heading down to a local shop, if possible, and trying out a DSLR or two. Even in auto modes you should be able to get some rough feeling for how they are performing and how they are different to the point and shoots. They will (Even entry level) feel bigger and heavier, though those are differences that you'll fast find you grow used to in a short span of time.

I honestly think you'll also see a big difference in the ISO performance - even with entry level bodies.

If you read my post correctly you'll see I'm not contradicting you. :p

I said larger formats perform better because of the lower pixel density.
You're comparing complete equals where-as the sensors simply are not equal. :)
Comparing equals is a complete theoretical comparison which is kind of useless in a practical situation like this (we're trying to decide which camera will perform better).

Micro lenses are becoming better day by day, the loss of light via the gaps are decreasing.

Read this article and you'll understand that smaller sensor don't necessarily have more DOF and larger sensor don't necessarily have better noise performance.

*Necessarily* It's not the format you should be choosing, but the system.

That might make sense if all cameras could only mount the lenses made for that format, and if all formats had an equally good range of lenses, but it won't as long as the APS-C system relies on FF lenses, (and smaller formats have poorer lenses). The same lens will do the exact same thing with the light, the only difference is at the sensor end. Therefore, the format matters. Also, among cameras which exist larger sensors have better noise performance.

Not really, try medium format, their noise performance are the best eh? Smaller formats don't have poorer lens at all, but most pros are oriented towards larger formats and therefore larger formats (though not all) have better lenses, and also much more expensive lenses (which makes them better). If you bothered looking at the site, smaller formats are as diffraction limited as larger formats.

The Fuji x10 got 5/5 stars and won the gold award over the Canon PowerShot G12, Nikon CoolPix P7100, Olympus XZ-1, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 and Ricoh GR IV. I can't seem to find the link right now but you could probably find it if you look up high end compact camera comparisons. And here's a link you would probably get something out of: Fuji X10 vs Canon S100: Point & Shoot Out

The Fuji x10 got 5/5 stars and won the gold award over the Canon PowerShot G12, Nikon CoolPix P7100, Olympus XZ-1, Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX5 and Ricoh GR IV. I can't seem to find the link right now but you could probably find it if you look up high end compact camera comparisons. And here's a link you would probably get something out of: Fuji X10 vs Canon S100: Point & Shoot Out

Thanks, I think I'll most likely buy the Fuji X10. I went to a digital store yesterday and had a look at the DSLR (Canon EOS 60D) and also some higher end P&S; the DSLR with a prime lens will be perfect if I don't have a limited space to work with. Since a prime lens doesn't zoom, I'll have to put my camera inside the glass tank to take close up shots; which will be very difficult considering I have cage furniture in the tank. Point and Shoot, being much smaller, should be more suitable in my case. I am now reading as much reviews as I can, so far all the X10 reviews are good, except for the QC where a lot of people say they got dust inside the lens.

Which prime lens did you try?
Even if you can just recall the focal length itself that might help.

There are varying lenses for DSLRs and it might be that the lens you tried was simply not long enough for the needs that you have.

Was not a prime lens that I tried, was the optional zoom lens that comes with the camera. I told the sales person about how my S100 can't zoom and focus in dim lighting, and he said the X10 won't do any better, contrary to what I read from various reviews...he recommended the Olympus E-PL3. But I think I have my mind pretty much set with the X10. If I have more space in my gecko room, I'll probably go with the EOS 60D (I only have 95cm foot space in front of each tank, and they are not front opening either; so it will be difficult to compose a nice picture without a zoom).

So I went ahead and bought the Fuji X10 2 days ago, I'm still playing around with it, but so far, I'm a bit disappointed with this camera. I shoot mostly in very low light conditions, therefore high ISO + slow shutter speed is the most used combo. Firstly, the image stabilisation of the X10 really is no match to my Canons. The X10 can zoom in and reach focus very quickly, the image shown on the LCD display is crisp too. However, as I push the button, the image turns out slightly blurred most of the time. I tried all 5 IS modes, only the "continuous" mode is slightly better. Then the image quality at ISO 1600 is rather grainy; the S100 seems to do better at lower ISO. And lastly, I really dislike the Finepix Viewer...Canon's Zoom Browser is soooooo much better!

I live in Hong Kong and no shops will accept returns unless the item is faulty or broken, so I will have to live with the X10 for quite a while, then I'll definately look into DSLR next time!! Gosh I wish I listened to you guys and dived into DSLR...but then the no return unless faulty policy makes me reluctant to purchase something that is more expensive. Its hard to try out at the shop too, its too bright there and everything just snaps into clear focus very easily. I'll try to post some pics in the following days.

I live in Hong Kong and no shops will accept returns unless the item is faulty or broken, so I will have to live with the X10 for quite a while

You could put it up on eBay at a small loss and then get a camera that you're happy with.

On the other hand, your Fuji X10 DOES have a hot shoe, so a flash would help tremendously with your blur/grain problems. I'm also assuming that it has manual modes which should allow you to set the camera how you want, focus on your Gecko (not to be confused with Geico which could save you 10% or more on your car insurance), then snap the pic with a bounced flash. You'll have nice soft even lighting this way and you'll be able to achieve sharp photos with no grain (noise). It'll just take a few tries to get your settings dialed in right.

As mentioned before the pets are in glass tanks (flash?) and also i believe if they were not in tanks that the flash would frighten them

Most reactions

New Topics

Back