Which camera lens is better? Want to upgrade!

Rocky89

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
If you told us what you were looking to shoot it would help.

If you told us what you were looking to shoot it would help.

I mainly use the camera to shoot photos at conventions, and sightseeing when traveling.

if you are shooting indoors (conventions), none of those lenses would be all that great. you ISO would be pretty high just to get a quick enough shutter speed. I have the 70-300mm VR and just for giggles, I shoot indoors at a family get together and gave up because I had to shoot at ISO 3200. I had the D7000 also and it didn't look all that great. now, for outdoor use, the nikon 70-300mm VR is a great lens. for the price, it is one of Nikon's best. so, if you are using the lens for outdoor only, then the 70-300mm VR I would recommend.

I've only read reviews about the tamron (good things mainly) and can't really give a hands on opinion. I would suggest going into a camera store and trying the lenses you have listed. that is the way I buy a lens. I just walk in and try it out.

I saw a nice, clean,smooth-operating 80-400 VR this week for $795, walk-in retail used. The brnad-spanking-new 80-400 G-series is well over $2,000; the AF-D design is over 10 years old now. I am not sure that $1,675 is a very good price on the "old" 80-400 VR... I own one...it's probably still "okay" on a 16 MP D7000 body. Focus can be slow, and at times halting, but it can also "do okay", and as a LONG-RANGE lens for shooting in the wind or wehatnot, the 80-0400 is my favorite lens, simply due to 1)VR and 2) focal length range.

It is however MUCH larger, and heavier, and clunkier, than the much newer Nikkor 70-300 f/4.5~5.6 VR G-series, which I also have.

I dunno...for travel, I like the 70-300's SIZE...I have a couple fanny packs, and it slides right into a water bottle slot, no issues; the 80-400 VR OTOH is a much bulkier lens that is best carried in a pouch or something like that, or in a pack/case kind of deal.

Any other suggestions? :)

Most reactions

Back