which camera lens?

nick001

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am taking indoor photos of a stationary model (mannequin) with the focus being on the clothing. I have plenty of room and the lighting is pretty good.
I have a Nikon d3100 with the kit lens and have taken some decent photos thus far but they could be a lot better (I am also having issues with the kit lens now). I wanted to know which lens might be more appropriate for the job. I am on a budget.
Any info/advice would be great.

Nick

First if you are on a budget then maybe consider a prime lens like the Nikon 35mm 1.8G or Nikon 50mm 1.8G
These lenses are affordable yet super sharp
May I do point that equipment as good as it is will take you this far but at the end of the day its skills that really make the different.
Been serious into photography for close to 2 years and I know I still am hardly scratching the surface.
While I have relatively good equipment my main limiting factor is my own developing skills, I simply have a long way still to go.

Good luck

no reason the 18-55mm wouldn't work prefectly well.

Welcome!

What issues do you have with the lens you have now?

Can you post an example?

I am taking indoor photos of a stationary model (mannequin) with the focus being on the clothing. I have plenty of room and the lighting is pretty good.
I have a Nikon d3100 with the kit lens and have taken some decent photos thus far but they could be a lot better (I am also having issues with the kit lens now). I wanted to know which lens might be more appropriate for the job. I am on a budget.
Any info/advice would be great.

Nick

Chances are pretty good that it's the lighting that's hanging you up.

Textiles are a fish of a different color, (how's that for a mixed metaphor?) The trick is to have the light graze across it allowing the treads to have some shadow for edge definition.

If you haven't read it I'd suggest Light, Science and Magic as a good read on lighting. You can google the subject for more information as well.

The kitlens is near perfect already if you step it down to f/8 and avoid the extremes of the focal length, the range of about 24mm to 50mm should be fine. There is not much that can be improved in respect of sheer image quality beyond this point. The only problem is enough light - f/8 doesnt let much through, indoors your shutter speeds will easily get very low even if you think the area is "bright".

For improving that, the 35mm f1.8 DX instantly comes to mind. Its still sharp even wide open, and super sharp if stepped down a bit. Basically I keep it on now my D5100 100% of the time. I much prefer to have a lot of light on my sensor over having a zoom range.

Well, unsurprisingly the 35mm was already mentioned, as was the 50mm I didnt think about. These are the two options I would suggest looking at. Anything else can get pretty expensive pretty quick, and wont really give you that much more image quality, just more light.

If you think you need a lot more work, then probably you need to learn to use tools like Photoshop or Lightroom properly, so you can get the results you want.

Oh, and of course composition and propper lighting, how could I forgot those.

If you think you need a lot more work, then probably you need to learn to use tools like a camera properly, so you can get the results you want.

FTFY.

my 5 year old somehow got hold of the camera and dropped it. It did take really sharp photos before, but not anymore. There is a rattle sound inside the lens. $DSC_8205.jpg$DSC_8250.jpg$DSC_8431-2.jpg.....The camera focus is ok closer up but as I move away about 5' to 7' the clothing becomes slightly unfocused. Before I could slightly zoom in on the photos and they would still hold their sharpness. Now they become out of focus.

There's always one like you that comes creeping out of their parents basement, and into the light to share what witless comments they have. Unoriginal! I asked a simple question. Didn't need Jon Stewart wannabe replying.

If your kit Lens is broke but you found it to be suitable before then another one is a cheap solution. If you have enough room to manoeuvre the 35mm f1.8 is very good and gets really sharp f5.6 to F8 which should be enough to give a suitable dof for the working distance you will be using.

Welcome to the forum

There's always one like you that comes creeping out of their parents basement, and into the light to share what witless comments they have. Unoriginal! I asked a simple question. Didn't need Jon Stewart wannabe replying.

this is the internet, you must assume that everyone is male and lives in their parent's basement and votes for obama.

my comment is still warranted. There's no reason the kit lens would not work perfectly well (assuming you didn't break your lens in the first place and that's why you want something new) and learning to use your tool better will result in better pictures.

But for someone to suggest that Lightroom or photoshop will improve your picture taking, or somehow give you better results, is false and wasn't even a comment directed towards you.

I'll also argue that my comment was wit full; it was funny and clever.

Last edited:
OP said in first post kit Lens was ok but having issues with it now.

OP said in first post kit Lens was ok but having issues with it now.

My post in #3 might have have been different knowing what we all know now. But it unclear that even happened before or after the OP.

Just buy another kit lens.

Then buy a good tripod.

Shoot ISO 100.

That will be what I think it the best recipe for a clean product picture using the basics

Get a new kit lens Nick. If it was working for what you are shooting there is no reason to change it up. A 50mm 1.8g or a 35mm 1.8g would be a cool addition for what you shoot. Both used should run you tops $250.

Your John Stewart wannabe comment was classic by the way!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back