Which camera should I get?

jadawgis732

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
So, first time I'm posting here. Hi, my name is Jonas, and I'm getting into photography now, and I'll probably enroll in a photography class next semester at my university. My current needs are a camera that will take good macro shots, and perform okay indoors. I've been documenting my work on a PC modding project which involves lots of pictures of internal components, without great light (because you don't really have your computer outdoors and also because of the cavernous design of computer cases). I really would love to be able to take good pics with my Canon A590IS but I'm pretty sure I'm reaching the limits of the camera for this application.

Things I've tried:
Longer Exposures
Adjusting F-Stop
Higher than ISO 100 (which appears grainy)
More lighting (currently up to 4 100W equivalent lumen florescent lights)
Flash, no flash (flash just adds a lot of overexposure unless taken at an extremely oblique angle)
Aperature priority, auto, manual modes

So I'm still not getting the images I'd like to get and so I've resolved to buy a better camera. I read a lot of threads over the past 2 days and spent a lot of time on Amazon reading reviews. Something I read a lot that applies to me too is I can't afford a DSLR. I'd prefer one with a viewfinder but can't find one in my price range, plus I don't think I'm advanced enough to merit ownership of one. :blushing:

Anyway here's what I've narrowed down to:
Sony DSC-H50
Nikon P90
Nikon L110
FujiFilm S1800
FujiFilm S2000HD

I'd like to keep it under $300 and that eliminates the P100 or SX20IS. I'm willing to listen to all suggestions and will decide based on this conversation. Thanks

Not sure how many point and shooters are on this forum that could give you good recommendations.

All I can say is that if you are looking at getting into photography and actually taking classes, skip the P&S and get a used dSLR

I think you could find a decent used lower end dslr with a kit lens on craigslist for ~$300 if you checked it every day. You can pick up a macro tube for cheap too. But I'm not sure it's going to help you any. What might help you more is to post what shots you have so far, what you don't like about them, and what you are trying to get. Maybe a better camera will help, maybe not.

Not sure how many point and shooters are on this forum that could give you good recommendations.

All I can say is that if you are looking at getting into photography and actually taking classes, skip the P&S and get a used dSLR

I have to agree with this.

You arent going to learn anything from a point and shoot camera. Almost everyone that uses this forum is here to expand their skills and knowledge of photography. You arent really going to be able to do that with a P&S.

You literally just turn it on and press the shutter release button. The end...

They are great for my mother and grandmother, that know almost zero about photography though lol. :lol:

For anyone thinking about saying something like "well actually, some P&S cameras have manual controls...", back off lol I am warning you.

- Neil

Here is a gallery of shots I'm taking. worklog pictures by jadawgis732 - Photobucket Should have embedded metadata. Uploading the rest of the images in full size now. 64mb worth...

heh when I upload single albums to Flickr they usually tend to be around 800Mb-3Gb. 64Mb is less than 4 pictures.

And I'm with everyone else. If you're interested in taking photography classes or getting into photography beyond pictures of your computer project...look for a DSLR. You can find great used bodies+lenses everywhere and they're *MUCH* better at getting the kind of shots you want than a P&S.

I have the Sony DSC-H50, and it's nice for what it is. I take a fair amount of macro shots, but they aren't "extreme" macro. Depth of field is also kind of a problem in point and shoots. I don't know anything about any of the others you listed, though.

I agree with the others, I'm sure you could find an affordable used DSLR if you looked hard. The H50 is a good camera and I do like it, but I think it's easier to branch out with DSLRs.

Here is a gallery of shots I'm taking. worklog pictures by jadawgis732 - Photobucket Should have embedded metadata. Uploading the rest of the images in full size now. 64mb worth...

I dont see the relevance in putting a link to your picture album in a thread where you are asking for help in chosing a camera.

Regardless of the images you produce, if you want to pursue photography as a hobby or a career, get away from the P&S cameras and start learning the right way. :)

And thats not only about the camera body, but about lenses, image composition, processing, pixels, size, raw vs jpg, exposure, hdr, photo styles, black and white,...

Thanks, I was just posting because someone wanted to know what kind of photos I was taking to see if they could be improved upon. Anyway how about an Olympus E-420 with 14-42mm Zuiko lens for $300?

No. Don't get an olympus, for Pete's sake. Buying the body might be cheaper than a Canon or Nikon, but in the long run you are going to spend a LOT more for Four Thirds lenses and Olympus equipment. Also, I read that Olympus is slowly stopping developement of Four Thirds cameras, because of the huge success of micro Four Thirds.

A MFT camera might actually be a good option, used Olympus PEN E-P1 maybe? I've seen used ones for around 300€ (250$?).

if you are looking for a DSLR, definately go for a Nikon or Canon.

but it's a DSLR- the Olympus EVOLT. Also I found a E520 with the same lens for $320.

canon and nikon have the most stuff out there.

olympus is fine, a camera is a camera, but if/when you get into it and you want to shoot landscapes, there's a lot more options w/ canon and nikon. as with telephoto lenses and macro lenses and prime lenses and flashes...

check out craigs list!

be patient!

fyi, good light is much more important than a good camera.
i've made some awesome pics with my cell phone.

I'm going to disagree. The key to getting great photos is the ability to really "see". See the light, see the composition, see the hundreds of little things that the right perspective will make extraordinary. If you're into people photography, then its the interaction with the people, it's your ability to get into their heads, it's the ability for you to draw them out of their shells. Sure, it's great to understand the mechanics of exposure and the theory behind DOF and so on, but let us also admit that we've seen too many technically well exposed shots that have no life, no WOW factor, no excitement. Of course, there are going to be circumstances where having the right gear and the technical knowledge will allow a good photo to be captured which otherwise would not have been, but that's probably not the case with most photos.

I was (and still am) a photographic gear-head, but I've began to change my attitude lately, partly because I've seen some things at different ends of the skills scale. I've met and seen the work of several really good photographers, with their own studios and tons of gear, who have started leaving most of that behind, and using P&S cameras to document their travels, and own activities. I've also seen some very talented photography beginners who, unencumbered by technical details, used their P&S cameras to document very interesting and unique perspectives.

So if the issue is to learn the rules of design, composition, balance, and for things that make some images so compelling, perhaps using P&S is a pretty good way to get the photographic bug. Later, as the skills develop and the photographer wants to get into more technically-challenging situations, then it makes sense to start investing in good gear. My $0.02 worth.

but it's a DSLR- the Olympus EVOLT. Also I found a E520 with the same lens for $320.

Don't make it hard for yourself, I know some people like olympus, but why stray from the norm, just stick with canon or nikon. It's REALLY not worth it to buy a P&S when you could buy a dslr for a bit more...

You need to be rich in order to buy cheap.

I'm going to disagree. The key to getting great photos is the ability to really "see". See the light, see the composition, see the hundreds of little things that the right perspective will make extraordinary. If you're into people photography, then its the interaction with the people, it's your ability to get into their heads, it's the ability for you to draw them out of their shells. Sure, it's great to understand the mechanics of exposure and the theory behind DOF and so on, but let us also admit that we've seen too many technically well exposed shots that have no life, no WOW factor, no excitement. Of course, there are going to be circumstances where having the right gear and the technical knowledge will allow a good photo to be captured which otherwise would not have been, but that's probably not the case with most photos.

I was (and still am) a photographic gear-head, but I've began to change my attitude lately, partly because I've seen some things at different ends of the skills scale. I've met and seen the work of several really good photographers, with their own studios and tons of gear, who have started leaving most of that behind, and using P&S cameras to document their travels, and own activities. I've also seen some very talented photography beginners who, unencumbered by technical details, used their P&S cameras to document very interesting and unique perspectives.

So if the issue is to learn the rules of design, composition, balance, and for things that make some images so compelling, perhaps using P&S is a pretty good way to get the photographic bug. Later, as the skills develop and the photographer wants to get into more technically-challenging situations, then it makes sense to start investing in good gear. My $0.02 worth.

So.. Spend 300 on a p&s, learn some stuff, wait 2 months, buy a 600 dollar dslr. K makes sense! not a waste of money either!

Most reactions

Back