bhaur

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
meettomy.site
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi all:
I need guidence to decide which camera to buy.
1- Should I go for a compact camera, or for a professional camera?
2- If I want to buy an entry level professional camera, is Canon D1100 okay? How would you compare it with other cameras of the same price range?

Okay, I know it is annoying when people answer your question with another question and I know that you are new but this question gets asked a lot. And invariably the next step is always, well what do you want to do with your camera?

So pictures? What kind of pictures? Portraits? Landscapes? Sports? Family? Parties (in door low light situations)? If you don't know you should probably get a DSLR. They are versatile.

Do you want something small and portable but want some manual control there are high end compacts that you should look into like the Fujifilm X10 or the Canon G12.

My advice to buying DSLRs is buy something that has lasting power, don't get the lowest end DSLR. They are severely underpowered (??, not sure if that is the right word). Instead, I would say look at something like the Canon T2i or the 40D, older models but with a lot more functionality, plus they are usually built better.

But again, you kinda need to know what you are going to shoot. If you don't know, try at least narrowing it down a bit... like you'll probably won't be doing any stellar photography, once you start thinking along those lines you'll start to come to the conclusion as to what you are interested in taking photos of (or video).

My personal advice, get a EVIL Mirrorless camera. Those things are quite nice, noticeably smaller than a DSLR but with very commendable image quality.

It's a copy machine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

It's a copy machine.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

+1

Multifunction copier with some mad graphics
bigthumb.gif

Come on, you know whats meant

I would suggest to look into the micro 4/3 format. The sensor is smaller than a cropped camera dSLR, but the actual footprint is also. The IQ (image quality) is quite good and the physical size is very comfortable. You have the ability for interchangeable lenses, so you are not so limited as with a P&S. There are a few systems out there, but Olympus and Panasonic are the big dogs in this fight. dSLR's are great, but don't discount the little guys either. I shoot Nikon, but recently bought an Oly EP3. They are fun little cameras and are repotedly to have the fastest autofocus in any camera and can be activated straight from the OLED (not LEC) screen on the back. I can fire my strobes and speedlight with it since it has a hotshoe.

a few years back, I purchased Canon Powershot A460. (I am not a rich person). Its results are poor, specially when I take indoor photographs. Even with the help of flash, a lot of noise is in the photograph. Its flash is also very week.

You may be very pleased with the results of a new P&S. I have a Canon S95 and that thing is very impressive for something that slips into your front pocket so easily.

And yes, a D1100 is more than ok.

You mention that you aren't rich or imply that you don't have a ton of $ for this... If you go with a DSLR you will also need to purchase at the very least one more lens with it and a decent one will be running you $500 or more. A fair one will be running you about $300. The lens that comes with a DSLR is little to no zoom at all and is the very first disappointment that people have.
If you are prepared to invest in auxillary lenses and other accessories, then you are good with a DSLR. If you aren't prepared for investing a few hundred more at the very least you may want to consider a Bridge camera.
The Canon SX40 HS is the latest and greatest. The Nikon P500 is Nikon's version. Both are great cameras and will offer you much better quality than the one you are shooting with. The bonus with these two cameras is the ability to shoot like a DSLR WITH mega zoom. More zoom than you can get on a DSLR with a $6000 lens. I also mentioned you can control it like a DSLR-which will allow you to learn about photography and in turn that will give you much better quality images as well.

Okay, I know it is annoying when people answer your question with another question and I know that you are new but this question gets asked a lot. And invariably the next step is always, well what do you want to do with your camera?

So pictures? What kind of pictures? Portraits? Landscapes? Sports? Family? Parties (in door low light situations)? If you don't know you should probably get a DSLR. They are versatile.

Do you want something small and portable but want some manual control there are high end compacts that you should look into like the Fujifilm X10 or the Canon G12.

My advice to buying DSLRs is buy something that has lasting power, don't get the lowest end DSLR. They are severely underpowered (??, not sure if that is the right word). Instead, I would say look at something like the Canon T2i or the 40D, older models but with a lot more functionality, plus they are usually built better.

But again, you kinda need to know what you are going to shoot. If you don't know, try at least narrowing it down a bit... like you'll probably won't be doing any stellar photography, once you start thinking along those lines you'll start to come to the conclusion as to what you are interested in taking photos of (or video).

My personal advice, get a EVIL Mirrorless camera. Those things are quite nice, noticeably smaller than a DSLR but with very commendable image quality.

Thank you for your response.
Obviously, I am not a professional photographer.
I need a good general purpose camera, for portraits, landscapes, family and party photographs.
Many years ago I used Yashica Electro 35 (not digital one). Its results were somewhat good.
a few years back, I purchased Canon Powershot A460. (I am not a rich person). Its results are poor, specially when I take indoor photographs. Even with the help of flash, a lot of noise is in the photograph. Its flash is also very week.

Now, I am in the position to purchase a camera, whose price is in the range of that of Canon D1100. (I suppose it is DSLR).

You advised me to get EVIL Mirrorless. It's perhaps something between DSLR and compact camera. I want an optimization between price and results.

I would suggest to look into the micro 4/3 format. The sensor is smaller than a cropped camera dSLR, but the actual footprint is also. The IQ (image quality) is quite good and the physical size is very comfortable. You have the ability for interchangeable lenses, so you are not so limited as with a P&S. There are a few systems out there, but Olympus and Panasonic are the big dogs in this fight. dSLR's are great, but don't discount the little guys either. I shoot Nikon, but recently bought an Oly EP3. They are fun little cameras and are repotedly to have the fastest autofocus in any camera and can be activated straight from the OLED (not LEC) screen on the back. I can fire my strobes and speedlight with it since it has a hotshoe.
I am not that technical in cameras. Okay, will try if this is available in Pakistan.

You mention that you aren't rich or imply that you don't have a ton of $ for this... If you go with a DSLR you will also need to purchase at the very least one more lens with it and a decent one will be running you $500 or more. A fair one will be running you about $300. The lens that comes with a DSLR is little to no zoom at all and is the very first disappointment that people have.
If you are prepared to invest in auxillary lenses and other accessories, then you are good with a DSLR. If you aren't prepared for investing a few hundred more at the very least you may want to consider a Bridge camera.
The Canon SX40 HS is the latest and greatest. The Nikon P500 is Nikon's version. Both are great cameras and will offer you much better quality than the one you are shooting with. The bonus with these two cameras is the ability to shoot like a DSLR WITH mega zoom. More zoom than you can get on a DSLR with a $6000 lens. I also mentioned you can control it like a DSLR-which will allow you to learn about photography and in turn that will give you much better quality images as well.
Thank you for the detailed guidance.
I browsed the the web regarding Canon SX40 HS. It's really great. But will selective focus be possible with this camera?
Please guide me about mirrorless compact system cameras. How would you compare Mirrorless CSC with bridge cameras? Could you suggest Mirrorless CSC with the same price range, whcih I can afford ($ 400 to 500), if I should go for this option?
And would you suggest Canon SX30?

Last edited:
Since you already have used a P&S and if you wouldn't want to invest in auxiliary lenses and the whole deal which comes with a DSLR, buy a good Bridge Camera. Take a look at the Sony HX100V. Seems nice. You can also attach clip on lenses later if you want to increase the zoom or take a Macro shot. However the sensor isn't as large as that of a DSLR. SO the image quality will not be of that level.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back