Which combination would you rather have....

chrisb2794

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I'm currently on the fence about jumping up to a D300. One of my questions is.... How does the high ISO image quality of the D300 effect the need for high speed lenses? I have done some low light photography and plan on doing a lot more. I also plan on getting more into sports photography. I can't decide whether to get the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR for my D80 or keep my current lens line up and go for the D300. From the choices below, which would you rather have, and why? Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions.

Nikon D80 w/
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR

or

Nikon D300 w/
Nikkor 18-200mm VR

Is the only difference really the longer lens?

I would personally go for the D300 (I have been hearing wonderful things about it, especially the improvement with noise) and not purchase the 18-200mm save up for a while for the 70-200mm

Nikon D300
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
Sigma 10-20mm
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 Macro
SB600 Speedlight

Is the only difference really the longer lens?

I would personally go for the D300 (I have been hearing wonderful things about it, especially the improvement with noise) and not purchase the 18-200mm save up for a while for the 70-200mm

I currently have the 18-200mm VR. My dilema is getting the D300 and keeping the set-up that is in my signature or getting rid of the 18-200mm and getting the 70-200mm to go with my D80.

Nikon D300
Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8 VR
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4
Sigma 10-20mm
Sigma 18-50 f/2.8 Macro
SB600 Speedlight

That is my dream set-up, but the D300 and the 70-200mm VR is not in my budget.

My choice would be :
D300
70-200 2.8 VR
24-70 2.8
50 1.4
SB-800

No matter the combo, the D300 over the D80 with any lens combo.

D300! Seriously, it pays to invest in the awesome body now, instead of buying a D80 and then selling it and buying a D300 later...

If you can get it now, you might as well.

The D300 is worth it, Trust me, I have had mine for 2 weeks now and I would cry like a small child if I had to give it up.

The D300 is worth it, Trust me, I have had mine for 2 weeks now and I would cry like a small child if I had to give it up.

Have you used your D300 with your 18-200 VR in any low light situations with the ISO bumped up?

One of my concerns is that the 18-200mm will still not be adequate in low light with the ISO bumped up.

Thanks for all the comments, but the original questions was...Given the two choices, which would you go with? You can only have one of the two set-ups (no mixing and matching) I already know which one I would go with if money was not a concern. Thanks again.

Honestly if you have the D80 right now you should be just fine investing in good glass. By the time you grow out of your D80 there will probably be a next generation of Nikon bodies out there. Glass is the best long-term investment and holds it's value and lasts longer than a body. Obviously I would (and did) invest in qualtiy glass begore you go after the pro body.

Sorry but ISO vs aperture is not the right comparison. There's also the sharpness of the 70-200 and the depth of field.

If I were really restricted to the choice of only those two I would probably pick the D80 and the great lens. It'll product much better photos. Especially if it's the 70-200 range you're most keen about, because this is where the already mediocre 18-200 really sucks!

I am leaning towards the better glass over body. I compare it to car stereo systems...It doesn't matter how much you spend on the stereo, if your speakers suck, it will still sound like poop.

Garbz and JIP echo my feelings. Lens over body any day of the week.
For now stick with the D80 and take some amazing pics with the 70-200 F/2.8VR. That lens is coming for me too just after Christmas, if I can hold out till then... lol
Cameras are always improved upon in the next generation. A good lens will ALWAYS be a good lens.

What is stopping you from saving for the D400 (or whatever is next) as you are enjoying this setup?

T-minus 18 months and counting for the camera that takes over from the D300! ;)

Glass over body. Doesn't matter which body you have, the glass is where the quality will be had. The 70-200 is a proven winner and the 18-200 is getting so-so ratings. Great range, but sacrifices IQ to get it.
Though the D300 does make a tempting upgrade, is there something with the D80 that you are not satisfied or lack that you need t to upgrade?

Most reactions

New Topics

Back