Which cost effective lens would you guys recommend at par with the Nikon 17-55?

Try Photozone,their reviews and example shots are 1st class,and unbiased!

I need an indoor, low light lens and have been saving up for the nikon lens for the past couple months. However I have some other priorities that have come up and decided to try an alternative.

I'm not yet settled on which of the following lens I should get so please chime in.

Sigma 18-50 2.8
Tokina 16-50 2.8
Tamron 17-50 2.8

If there are any other lenses not mentioned above let me know. Thanks!

I have the Sigma but I would probably choose the Tokina which was not avialable at the time I made my purchase.

skieur

If she had bought a gen 1 or gen 2, I would say be careful, but she is ordering a new one. There has not been one that is not incredible, nor one that has been returned as far as any of the 5 photo forums and the flickr Sigma 18-50 forum... EVERYONE is in love with their Sigma 18-50 lens.

I also own this lens and it is fast, accurate and SHARP!
2175705753_2d3af766d0_o.jpg

It is so sharp, that I was told that forensically, this shot could be used for fingerprints to identify the person in this photo... lol

i've read a lot of people saying the nikkor dx 17-55 2.8 isn't all that great. so i ended up ordering the sigma 18-50 2.8 macro, should be here tomorrow.
kami, post back your thoughts on your experience once you get it

got mine today, here's a quick shot. not very well composed but he doesn't sit still! my cat is a terrible model.

sq1.jpg

Camera: Nikon D90
Exposure: 1/50sec
Aperture: f/2.8
Focal Length: 18mm
Exposure Bias: 0
ISO: 400
Flash: N/A
Metering: CWA
Lens: Sigma 18-50mm f/2.8 EX DC Macro

2175705753_2d3af766d0_o.jpg

It is so sharp, that I was told that forensically, this shot could be used for fingerprints to identify the person in this photo... lol

Wow, you have such pretty hands! j/k!

I am now more excited after reading about this lens. The wait is unbearable.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back