What's new

which crop do you prefer?

syphlix

TPF Noob!
Joined
Jul 23, 2009
Messages
687
Reaction score
1
Location
NYC
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i don't really like a square crop for this one... but i feel like the dude in the yellow completely dominates the other...

opinions?...

1
img4758u.jpg


2
img47582.jpg
 
Personally, I'd toss the photographer on the right too, and crop vertically.
 
The second one.

The kid with the sign reminds me of Gary Coleman / Arnold.

"Whatcha talkin' about Willis?"
 
I think musicaleCA has the right idea--get rid of the photographer on the right,definitely., But you need to leave the tubby, yellow-shirted dude on the left hand side--HE is the kind of person who would need some encouragement and cheering on. By eliminating the obviously overweight tubby dude, the connection between the kid and the other runners far in the background become a very,very weak connection at best.

KEEP THE TUBBY DUDE in the frame!
 
Personally, I'd toss the photographer on the right too, and crop vertically.

This. Guy in the yellow shirt is distracting, and you can already see the boy is cheering on runners because there are some in the background. I don't think the photographer really adds much to the shot. Cropped, it looks like he's shooting the kid's backside....kinda creepy.
 
The second crop is the better of the two

But the photo itself is not particularly interesting for the event..

It seems that you are too intent on showing the child fully when really only his face and sign are important here....... perhaps the shot would work better if you only had his upper body and sign on the lower left of the frame, and you had the runners, above the photographer, as the main body of the shot..
 
Personally, I'd toss the photographer on the right too, and crop vertically.

That would also rid the photo of the most of the marathon participants. Wouldn't that eliminate much of what the kid is saying "yes you can" over?
 
Last edited:
good points everyone... how about this?

img47584.jpg
 
After taking a look at all the crops, I would have to go with Dominantly's.
Although from the first shot I can see there is a geometrical thing happening (for lack of a better word) between the background of runners, the two "distracting fellows" in mid ground and "Gary", I usually go for simple and to the point.
 
Personally, I'd toss the photographer on the right too, and crop vertically.

That would also rid the photo of the most of the marathon participants. Wouldn't that eliminate much of what the kid is saying "yes you can" over?

Trueeee. Meh. This is why I like being able to crop a million different ways before I decide. :lol: (There would be a difference here between cropping tight on his face and sign, rather than keeping a full body shot though.)
 
If you want the boy to be the focus I would go with #2

If you want the photographer to be a bit more significant I would go with this kinda crop...

4084026699_706f9d2d1c_o.jpg


It really depends on what you want to say. Alot of stories going on in the shot.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

New Topics

Back
Top Bottom