Which crop?

SquarePeg

hear me roar
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
This is one of my favorites from the other day's sunrise shoot and I think I want to have it printed on metal. Can't decide on the crop. I like the vertical because it shows off the silhouette of the lupine but I hate to crop out any of the gorgeous sky. Thoughts? Suggestions? Feel free to give it a go. I'll include the original uncropped file at the end.
Lupine silhouette at sunrise by SharonCat..., on Flickr

_CAT4299-4 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

_CAT4299-4 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

uncropped
_CAT4299-5 by SharonCat..., on Flickr

I prefer #1
The background is secondary to the foreground flowers ... makes more of an impression.

For me #1
If it were my photo print, I'd make some small changes, firstly lighten the green foliage, make the crop a little bit stronger, level the photo a little more and remove the broad tree in the background from behind the flower. Probably all a little too much work, but as said it's completely my personal vision. Nice image.
View attachment 193100

#1 and bring the right hand edge into the same place as #2

#1 makes more sense since you've put the subject on center stage, so to speak, but other than the clouds you mentioned I do like the yellow on the leaves of the plants just behind it. The plant being displayed stands out better against yellow (and the yellow looks good) than it does the dark colors since it's a little on the dark side itself unless you can give those purplish blues and "the greens" a little pop as already mentioned. If not that then I would look for a compromise between a wide shot and the 1st pic that includes a little more of the yellow and yes, that sky and mountain range also, they're beautiful. Maybe two separate pics joined at the hip, lol!

I like #3 the best.

I keep going back to #1 as well.

Thanks everyone for the feedback and suggestions. The majority liked the portrait crop which was my first instinct as well. It definitely needs some tweaking before being ready to print but I like to get my crop down first so I’m not making adjustments to areas that I’m going to crop out later. I’m going to look through my other photos from this shoot and see if there is another that complements this one that I could put beside it to show off the sky in a landscape crop. Would that look weird hanging in the same area with two different orientations? Most of the photos and paintings that I have in my home are landscape style.

I played with it a bit, maybe it's too vibrant for your taste??? Maybe somewhere in between?

square-peg-image-redo-fn2.jpg

Most reactions

New Topics

Back