Which deal do I go with?

I have never liked sony cameras, I am not saying they are bad but I don't care for them for some reason. pantax makes some very nice cameras but I am not sure how good that model is in your link. I have seen some beautiful photos come from of both of those brands but I am not sure what models from those brands are good or not so good so i cant really comment on those.

the nikon kit at cosco with the 2 lenses looks good for that price. with Nikon you will not have a hard time finding lenses or accessories, at one time I owned the 55-200mm lens and I liked it, with that lens and a kit lens you should be good to go for quite a while. having a 18-55 mm lens will be good for shooting things that are close to you, having a 55-200mm lens will be good for zooming in on things that are farther away. having both of those lenses, that book and a D3300 wold be a ideal starter setup IMO

If you can find a good deal on the D5200 or D5300 with just the kit lens I think that would be better choice, but I think most people who are just starting out with a DSLR would be very happy with the D3300. if you find a better deal that does not have the 55-200 lens with it you can get one of those 55-200mm lenses used for around 100 bucks in excellent or excellent plus condition at a place like KEH.com and they have a great return policy on used lenses, I would not think twice about buying a used lens form a good seller like this place. NIKON 55-200MM F/4-5.6 G ED IF DX AF-S VR AUTOFOCUS LENS FOR APS-C SENSOR DSLRS {52} - KEH Camera

if you want to go with the D3300 and the 2 lenses I do think that is a pretty good deal, that book that it comes with is very nice and helpful, it will help you understand how to use a DSLR's basic features and to get good photos with a DSLR. the nikon user guide derrel posted should also help.

Thanks guys. I guess right now it's between the Pentax K50 and the Nikon D3300. I know a lot of people are Nikon fanboys and Canon fanboys for that matter and swear by their favorite brand. Doing research I've seen most impartial people say the K50 is the better of those hands down. I've read that the D3300 is better with video which is something that was important to me until I recently decided that I should just go ahead and shell out a couple hundred bucks for a decent camcorder. Like I said I basically no nothing and I'm just going off what I've read.

check out these photos for each camera, you got to remember some people may be using high end lenses, some may not, each picture you view should tell you what camera it was taken with, the settings and it will give you some information about the lens that was used. the K-50 photos do look impressive, the D5300 photo look very nice as well.

K-50 Flickr Search: Pentax K50

D3300 Flickr Search: nikon d5300

I spent around 300 bucks on a sony camcorder that was on sale, it was originally something like 800 bucks but the model was discontinued and on blow out pricing,

I hate it with a passion, not sure why I still have it.

i feel that my point and shoot or my DSLR are both much better than the camcorder indoors, outdoors in good lightning the camcorder is great but it sucks big time in the house IMO. its not easy to change settings or anything its nothing but a huge pain the butt IMO. I though since it was a expensive model it would have taken great video indoors and out but I do not find that to be the case at all. it also takes photographs but they are the worst images I have ever seen.

Last edited:
have Nikon but I would be tempted to go for the pentax. If you look at the images danny just linked to the Nikons are great iq wise. But often the images have a plastic type feel and I have yet to be a fan of the the color rendition. I actually depise the color rendition for landscapes. Almost like a high detail china thing they got going so the images don't look real. You can edit it out in photoshop to a extent prolly but you really shouldn't have to.

This is not directed toward the OP but more a general question based on his responses. Is there any point to buying a DSLR if your only plan to use it as a point and shoot? Wouldn't a high end p&s be a better choice? Cheaper, easier to operate...

This is not directed toward the OP but more a general question based on his responses. Is there any point to buying a DSLR if your only plan to use it as a point and shoot? Wouldn't a high end p&s be a better choice? Cheaper, easier to operate...

I must say thats a very good valid point, there are so many great powerful p&s cameras out there that in auto mode will produce very good images like the Canon G16, Sony RX100 and many more.
DSLR will give better results but again if you use it properly with the right accessories.

That's what I'm thinking myself.

That's what I'm thinking myself.
Well if you dont plan on really learning how to use a camera right then dont bother to buy anything expensive or complicated, the true magic is in the photographers skills and thats the time consuming thing.
When its done with love and passion like many here have (me included) then its an amazing process but if you dont want to invest then time just get a p&s put it on AUTO mode and shot.

I bought my wife a Canon G15, she never bothered to use it outside the AUTO mode and doesnt want me to teach her how to move to the next level so she just points and shoot.

Good luck

I guess I should step out of my box and actually learn how to use a camera. I've never been a big picture person and have never really even used any camera I've ever owned. My thing is to get a camera that takes good pictures without having to photoshop them.

I think I'm still deciding between the k50 and d3300. What's everyone's votes between them. How are the lenses that come with the cameras in the links above?

I agree with the recent posts here. If you're just looking for something that is supper convenient to use that is simply going to be used in "Auto", get a high end point and shoot. A DSLR is simply going to be a waist of money as they don't do much better in "Auto" as a good point and shoot camera.

I used to take photo's in "Auto" with simple point and shoot camera's. After 10 years I'd had enough, and wanted better photo's. I got my first DSLR in 2010, went online (YouTube was a great resource), and started learning how to properly use a camera. I very quickly learned that it's not the equipment you've got, but how well you can use it that counts. Things like composition, framing, controlling light, using depth of field, etc. all contribute to making a great photograph instead of a simple snap shot.

My fiancee's cousin uses a Nikon D5000 with the 18-55 VR, and the 55-200 VR lens. She does all of her shooting in "Auto" mode. When ever we happen to be at an event together taking photo's, my fiancee (who is not in to photography) will look at her photo's compared to mine, and will choose my photo's as they are simply better all around.

If you are serious about wanting to learn photography I still would select the D3300 kit. Nikon and Canon are the two biggest names in the business and therefore have a more robust selection of lenses to choose from. Not to mention most classes/books/online videos and tutorials focus mainly on those two brands. This I think would make the learning process easier having a more widely used system than say Pentax or Sony.

Not to mention if you have any questions about what to do by all means post them here. There's several great people that love to share their knowledge, and help people become a better photographer. As mentioned in my post above I learned everything on my own by reading/watching online, and asking questions in photo forums similar to this one.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back