Which DSLR to choose?

doublem_1

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I am new to this forum but hope to become very accustomed to it. I love photography and have finally chosen to get my first DSLR. I really like the nikons but would maybe consider a canon.

I dont have a huge budget, £400-500, not too fussed about video capabilities. Would like auto focus and auto bracketing (to finally start taking some HDR photos). Also one with a nice crisp screen.

Been looking at the D3100 but put off slightly by its entry level premise. Also the D5000 looks a good buy.

Any help on this would be amazing!

Nikon camera d 5000 do not contain focus internal drive so when you buy lenses in the future should be lens inside the engine to run focus
autofocus

My advice is Canon 500D or 550 D if the video is one of your interests

i wouldnt let the lack of internal focus motor sway you TOO much.
i started with a d40 with the kit lenses, and was fine for quite awhile.

the d5000 has a nice cmos sensor, so you should get good high iso performance. it also has video, but you said thats not really a big deal. nice to have i guess. :)

most of the entry-level nikon kits come with the 18-55, and it's actually a great little lens.

the d5000 can do bracketing, but im not sure how many steps...i would assume 3, but could be wrong.

we have a d5000 at work, and the times ive used it it has performed well and seems like a robust camera that should serve you well for some time.

i wouldnt let the lack of internal focus motor sway you TOO much.
i started with a d40 with the kit lenses, and was fine for quite awhile.

the d5000 has a nice cmos sensor, so you should get good high iso performance. it also has video, but you said thats not really a big deal. nice to have i guess. :)

most of the entry-level nikon kits come with the 18-55, and it's actually a great little lens.

the d5000 can do bracketing, but im not sure how many steps...i would assume 3, but could be wrong.

we have a d5000 at work, and the times ive used it it has performed well and seems like a robust camera that should serve you well for some time.

I you use the camera d 5000 7 months ago and I have a problem focus

So I tried to use the old cameras) film cameras (but unfortunately I could not run the engine did not contain

Conversely camera d90 she was working nicely

if the lens you were using did not have the focus motor, then yes...manual focus can be a challenge.
but the kit lenses that tend to come with bodies that dont have the motor are the lenses that do.

so i understand your point, but if the OP doesnt have a bunch of old nikon glass sitting around, or doesnt plan on scooping up a bunch of glass right away, the kit lenses should suffice.
looks to me like a D90 with a lens is a bit out of budget.

that being said...OP, if you can stretch your budget, the d90 would be the next logical step...

I would love a D90 SrBiscuit but its just a little out of my budget unfortunately. Only concern with the D5000 is the small and low quality screen. The 500D seems to ticking my boxes at the moment but I have seen some average reviews on it.

If it helps I would like to take some good depth of field photos, landscapes, and some night time photos with long exposures. Also, I would like to be able to shoot in RAW. I would like to use it to try out some HDR photos.

Camera d 5000 allows you to take three pictures of the work of different Ptaarbat HDR push of one button

While Canon must press the button three times to them three Taarbat or sequential selection of photography and therefore possible loss of individual details may be large

Therefore, d 5000 a solution to represent you

Camera d 5000 allows you to take three pictures of the work of different Ptaarbat HDR push of one button

While Canon must press the button three times to them three Taarbat or sequential selection of photography and therefore possible loss of individual details may be large

Therefore, d 5000 a solution to represent you

Uh, if you have a 500D or T1i on continuous burst mode, and you're bracketing for a HDR shot, it will take the 3 exposures without hitting the shutter 3 separate times. It fires 3 exposures as fast as it can just like the D5000, or any camera that has bracketing (as far as I know). I mean, my 2006 5D even brackets shots in the continuous mode.

..... Only concern with the D5000 is the small and low quality screen.....
The rear LCD screen is of limited use on any digital camera in any event, because it is lit in such a broad variety of conditions, and though ithe LCD's brightness is adjustable there is no way to calibrate that brightness adjustment.

The rear LCD can't be used to evaluate exposure. It can be used to evaluate image framing/composition, the histogram can be used to check for highlight or blacks clipping, and you can zoom into a photo to check focus accuracy.

Don't worry about the small screen since the point of a DSLR is not to view the pictures on the little screen. Think about back in the day when SLR's were film... you did not see the picture until they were developed.

If you can swing the extra cash, I also suggest the D90 over the D5000.

I would love a D90 SrBiscuit but its just a little out of my budget unfortunately. Only concern with the D5000 is the small and low quality screen. The 500D seems to ticking my boxes at the moment but I have seen some average reviews on it.

If it helps I would like to take some good depth of field photos, landscapes, and some night time photos with long exposures. Also, I would like to be able to shoot in RAW. I would like to use it to try out some HDR photos.

This will depend on your lens, not your camera.

buy a used d40 for a reasonable price (cheaper than a new d3000 or 5000). Save the leftover money to a better lens. Glass > Body.

I'd suggest a d90, they can be had for around $600USD, so that should leave you enough in your budget for a decent kit lens.

I'd only buy a non-af motor camera body if I was never planning on buying a prime lens. AF-S prime lenses are scarce and expensive. And there's really no performance benefit to having AF-S in a small prime lens.

Thanks for the input, Im thinking of going for a D5000 after being disappointed with some sample photos I seen from a review of the 500D. I'm not too clued up with some terms you guys are using, such as prime lenses.

As long as it can focus automatically and include auto bracketing so that I can create some HDR images I think I will be set. What are peoples opinions of the D5000 to start off with? Probably with an 18-55mm lense.

Most reactions

Back