Which DSLR?

Luke623

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Well I'm looking to buy a DSLR sometime in the coming weeks because the limitations of my P&S are starting to annoy me. Problem is I can't decide between the Canon Rebel XTI, the Nikon D60 or the Sony A300 (also open to other suggestions). I really don't know what I'm looking for, those just sound good :confused: Anyway, I'd love some input from experienced DSLR users!

EDIT:
Took the pictures out, decided they were fairly irrelevant.

Last edited:
I am not going to post a huge list of why I think this because I really dont want to.

But If i was you, I would buy the canon. I think there better then nikor's.

You will be very happy with it.

Having just gone through this decision making process (and purchased a Sony A200), I can give you a quick run-down of the conclusions I drew about each of those cameras:

In the U.S. at least, the Sony sells for about $600, the Canon for $680 and the Nikon for $620 (all with kit lenses). The Sony A200 is about $100 cheaper than the A300, and on my budget that was enough of a difference to matter! The Nikon kit lens is probably the best of the three, with Sony second and Canon third (based on professional reviews). All three have anti-dust systems. The Sony has in-camera image stabilization, which can lead to good savings if you're thinking of purchasing more lenses. On that subject: Sony's mount is compatible with old Minolta lenses, which are apparently reasonably abundant and cheap.

These are a few of the comparisons I remember off the top of my head - let me know if you have other questions. I'm not an experienced DSLR user, but as I said, I made this very decision less than a week ago!

Stuart

Don't look for anything. Go into a store, hold each, leave the store with the one that fits best in your hand. You're buying into a system and not making a lifetime decision. You'll most likely get a new camera in a few years anyway meaning the actual features like megapixels, are far less important than owning a camera you're comfortable using.

Personally I can't stand the Canon button layout and the menu system.

Don't look for anything. Go into a store, hold each, leave the store with the one that fits best in your hand. You're buying into a system and not making a lifetime decision. You'll most likely get a new camera in a few years anyway meaning the actual features like megapixels, are far less important than owning a camera you're comfortable using.

Personally I can't stand the Canon button layout and the menu system.

Y'know, I think that's exactly what I'll do.

I bought Sony over C & N because i want something different.. end up no feel of regret.. it has the best features amongst the entry level dslrs..

I'd strongly recommend an Olympus E-520 or 510 as an entry level DSLR. there are affordable lenses out there, and many features that will help you ease into the SLR world. As you progress, so can the camera. You won't have to get a better one. Thats just my two cents. Oh, and for the money, IMO, you can't beat it!

mosquito.jpg

I have to agree with garbz. I will say I don't think you can go really wrong with either Canon or Nikon. I personally have only used Nikon and I have'nt spent a minute being disappointed. Good Luck!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back