Which dslr???

I just recently went through this myself, and after searching and reading through the tremendous amount of information on this board, and with the help of some of the more knowledgeable folks here, ended up purchasing a used DSLR to start with.

It's not the newest, fanciest camera (Digital Rebel XT), but it's a huge step above the typical p&s that I had always had before. Even only having it a week it's obvious that there was no need to go with the latest and greatest, cause I'm far enough in over my head with Rebel I purchased. Basically, for $300 I got a good setup that will allow me to grow and develop the skills to take advantage of the higher end equipment, and learn what won't work for the uses I have in mind.

That is definately a good move...get a cheaper body and pick up some nicer lenses.
You can get a cheapish Rebel XSI or XTI, specially with the T2i just being announced, the price on older models will drop some

If you want a step up, look at the Canon 40D. Friend of mine picked one up for $600. 2 years ago, when I bought my camera, the 40D was approx $1200. Its a great camera, mid range.

Wait a minute... people actually use the advice given? :lol:

Good move, sounds like it worked out well for you JMack!

I'm a little saddened by the fact that no one recommended the new Leica S2, clearly a good value and well within budget.

In all seriousness tho, pick a budget and go test some cameras in that price range. Each brand is going to feel and work a bit differently, and in the end, the biggest difference is going to be how comfortable you are with the equipment, not what name is on the front.

Personally, I shoot with a Nikon. I went from an F2, to a D70, to a D2h, and now have a D3. Did my D70 take images any better then my D3? No. Is the D3 easier to use? No. Does it make my life a little easier in some cases? Yes. That is what a "professional" camera is designed to do - make life easier, not make your images any better, and it's the only thing you'll be paying for in a more expensive camera.

Canon tends to cost a little less, while Nikon is said to have slightly better ergonomics and glass. Nikon offers a 5 year USA warranty on lenses while Canon offers 1 year worldwide. Each has their own benefits and downfalls. Picking one is as personal as choosing a pair of underwear.

So here's my next set of questions ;)

How important are megapixels?? The d5000 is 12.3, but the Rebel xs is 10.1 and there is about a $100 price difference...

How much do lenses usually run? I know fish eye and wide angle are popular, but what are they actually used for?

When would I need a tripod?? I am a "snap it quick" opportunist kinda person... if there's a photo op, I'm on it! I like to shoot reality, not really art... I like sentimental mama and kid pictures... I'm a single mom so it makes things a lot more exciting to have those special pics of the kids and I...

Those are the only questions I can think of at this point...

For an beginner, there isnt a big difference in megapixels. They are mainly used when you want to crop an image to just have part of the image and still mainly good image quality.
But really, 10mp vs 12mp isn't a huge factor. Anything over 8mp will be more than enough to do 8x12 prints.

A tripod is used when you have a slow shutter speed to avoid hand shake making the image blurry. Mainly in night photography or landscape photography. Say you see some water and instead of just freezing the water, you want to make it more fluid. You'll slow the shutter speed, but if its too slow, you hand holding the camera will move the camera and make a blurry image. Even if you think that you have solid hands, just breathing in and out, or just your finger hitting the shutter can be enough to make camera shake.

You dont need one up front, and I have never used one for portraits.

As for the comment up above about Canon costing less and Nikon having better glass or ergonomics, that is not necessarily true. Ergonimics have to do with how a person fits with the camera (or chair, or desk, or keyboard,...) and is person dependant. Better glass? They both make very high quality lenses and I would love to see facts supporting high end Nikon vs high end Canon giving different results in a professional shoot. For an purposes, they are the same.

For an beginner, there isnt a big difference in megapixels. They are mainly used when you want to crop an image to just have part of the image and still mainly good image quality.
But really, 10mp vs 12mp isn't a huge factor. Anything over 8mp will be more than enough to do 8x12 prints.
I agree, megapixels really aren't much more than a marketing ploy. Marketing departments figured out a while ago if they slapped a huge number of megapixels on the box of a camera, it would sell faster than a competing camera boasting fewer megapixels.

There are positives and negatives when it comes to increased pixel counts. More of them give you the ability to crop as mentioned. In trade they cause defraction sooner, worsen high ISO performance by introducing more noise into the image, reduce dynamic range, etc. But as technology continues to advance the pixels increase and the overall quality of the images they produce either remain consistent or in some cases improve... which leads many photographers to ask "why not stop with the megapixel wars and improve image quality considerably with the advancements in technology?"

As for the comment up above about Canon costing less and Nikon having better glass or ergonomics, that is not necessarily true. Ergonimics have to do with how a person fits with the camera (or chair, or desk, or keyboard,...) and is person dependant. Better glass? They both make very high quality lenses and I would love to see facts supporting high end Nikon vs high end Canon giving different results in a professional shoot. For an purposes, they are the same.
I agree here too. I find Canon controls to be better laid out than Nikons, so I stick with Canon. It's a matter of personal preference.

As for the quality of lenses, neither can claim title of the best lens manufacturer. Both have some killer lenses and both have some not so killer lenses. There are people who swear by both of them, and depending on what article you read, one will say Canon has the advantage and the other will claim Nikon does. What isn't as easily disputed is that Canon is as much as 25% cheaper for a comparable lens (look up the prices for a Canon 24-70 and a Nikon 24-70).

Okay. So I just went to a ritz camera store and worked with the store manager. I felt out the canon xs and the nikon d5000. I like the features that the nikon has but I liked the simplicity and feel of the canon. I am NOT trying to start a canon v nikon war but I am REALLY on the fence right now and not leaning towards one or the other.

HELP!!! lol

oh and there is a $100 difference in the pricing. The canon is $100 cheaper. Still doesn't really mak me lean towards it more or anything, but grrrrr lol!

Did either of them feel more natural to you? Sounds like the Canon did? If you're on the fence, get the one that feels the most comfortable and thought out the way you would do things yourself had you designed it - that's the one you'll want to use and will be the easiest to master.

Go to your local camera store talk to the sales associate, play with a couple of cameras and research the two or three you like best. Canon and Nikon both have a strong following

Okay. So I just went to a ritz camera store and worked with the store manager. I felt out the canon xs and the nikon d5000. I like the features that the nikon has but I liked the simplicity and feel of the canon. I am NOT trying to start a canon v nikon war but I am REALLY on the fence right now and not leaning towards one or the other.

HELP!!! lol

oh and there is a $100 difference in the pricing. The canon is $100 cheaper. Still doesn't really mak me lean towards it more or anything, but grrrrr lol!
At least you've settled on Nikon or Canon... that's half the battle. In the end, you'll be happy with either.

One thing that might be an issue for you is that the D5000 lacks an AF motor in the body and many of the more affordable Nikon lenses and 3rd party lenses require this motor to be present for you to have auto focus. The lenses will work, but they won't auto focus. Sometimes people don't know this before buying the camera and are shocked when they get their new lens and it doesn't work as they expected.

You won't have this problem with the Canon as the model you're looking at can use any of Canon's lenses or any 3rd party lenses currently made.

A Nikon D3000 or D5000 with the 18-200mm VR and a 50/35mm F/1.8 (or 1.4 if budget is big enough). Enough for any shooter. Consider adding an SB600. It's all any starter will ever really need, a case full of lenses is totally unnecessary.

Last edited:
Actually the same is true for Nikon.
As long as you keep this list handy when shopping for lenses online:

2-9-20105-01-14PM.png

You should be good.

For Canon you only need to remember all lenses made after 1987 are supported. ;)

Most reactions

Back