Which filter???

Marco120588

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.geocities.com
I want a filter that would be great for photographing heavily make-up'd woman. I want great contrast as well as good flesh tones. What filter or filters should I use for this?

Marco, I dont think you should look for a filter buddy.

maybe experiment with different types of lights i.e. softboxes...stuff like that...

hope that helps!!

md

I would focus on getting film that renders nice skin tones. Kodak Portra and Fuji NPS are great skin tone films.

If you want a quick soft focus filter, stretch some black panty hose over the lens. You lose some light obviously, but it's a nice effect.

I'd have to agree with Voodoo. I really love the Fuji NPS 160. It gives very warm and pleasing skin tones.
If you have good lighting, fast lenses, and/or a tripod the pantyhose idea is also great for soft-focus type portraits. You can buy a soft-focus filter, but a cheap pair of nylons will work just as well, and save you $25 or so.

Depends on your lighting and film. Filters are designed to modify the light coming into the camera to alter the final image. If you're using a daylight balanced film with tungsten light for example you would want to use an 82A or B filter to shift the color back from the red end to a more natural look.

I would recommend getting a good photography book that shows examples of the differences between different filters in different light situations. Check Amazon. You can't throw a stick without hitting one over there.

You might want to experiment with different films (negatives are a lot more forgiving than slides) and lighting situations before you go out buying filters. I didn't do that. Had I done more of my homework before I would have saved some cash. I have to say more often than not they've been a pain in the butt to deal with. Better to control your light and film the first time around rather than having to tweak it with a filter. Good luck.

coming from a gal who wears a lot of make-up on cam

<-----------

in most cases, if i wear my make-up too "light" it doesnt show up on camera.. depends on what u wanna show ... i know i wish most of my clients would wear more make-up for a shoot especially around the eyes because they can look a littly "puffy" without some contrast ... here's a few examples from my shoots ...

she wore quite a bit of make-up, but u cant really see that its more than you can see on the camera

kristen5.jpg

in this one, i think if she didnt have any or much make-up on, there wouldnt be much contrast in her face.

kristenbw.jpg

it all depends on what u want to do, i'd say play with your light a little bit :D

Most reactions

New Topics

Back