Which flash would be more useful for me?

N E Williams

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
nathanewilliams.blogspot.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay so I'm a beginner and wannabe macro photographer, I have had my sights set on a Nikon SB-700 Speedlight Flashgun as I do want a good flash for my camera and read that these flashguns are good but recently I saw a Sigma EM-140 DG NA-ITTL Macro Flash and was thinking would this be better seeing as though it's also made for macro photography? I'm swaying more to the Sigma but want your opinions as I'm only a newbie.

Thanks

I don't know much about the sigma, but either way I would always go with the nikon.

For one it allows you to to use wireless flash without buying a commander as long as your camera is comatible (d70 and up are, d3000, 5000, 3100, 40, 40x, 60 are not)

For TRUE macro photography you would want one of these though: Nikon R1C1 Macro Flash System

I don't know much about the sigma, but either way I would always go with the nikon.

For one it allows you to to use wireless flash without buying a commander as long as your camera is comatible (d70 and up are, d3000, 5000, 3100, 40, 40x, 60 are not)

For TRUE macro photography you would want one of these though: Nikon R1C1 Macro Flash System

That is a nice looking bit of kit, but a bit pricey for me as my limit for a flash would be £300 or around that. Thanks for your opinion

since your camera doesnt have commander, i would get a vivitar 285hv. its around 100$ + some ebay triggers so you can use it off camera. get a cheap light stand and a 30 inch umbrella.

30inches for macro? That's massive!

My advice is as thus:

1) The ringflash you link to is a good option and certainly worth considering. Bare ringflashes are however a slight pain as they can give very flat lighting to a shot so often you'll see bits of paper and other materials slipped over part of the ring to try and break the even light up and get a more realistic dispaly of shadows and highlights on the shot.

2) Ringflashes are however quite weak lighting wise - perfectly fine power for macro, but with their lower power levels they end up being only any real use in macro and portrait photography. Outside of those areas they tend to fall short when compared to a regular speedlite flash.

For this reason I often recommend beginners to go for a regular speedlite design flash - its not only good with macro (with a good bracket and diffuser setup) but also has a massive range of possible uses outside of the macro world. Giving the photographer a versatile tool that will greatly expand their working setup.

30inches for macro? That's massive!

My advice is as thus:

1) The ringflash you link to is a good option and certainly worth considering. Bare ringflashes are however a slight pain as they can give very flat lighting to a shot so often you'll see bits of paper and other materials slipped over part of the ring to try and break the even light up and get a more realistic dispaly of shadows and highlights on the shot.

2) Ringflashes are however quite weak lighting wise - perfectly fine power for macro, but with their lower power levels they end up being only any real use in macro and portrait photography. Outside of those areas they tend to fall short when compared to a regular speedlite flash.

For this reason I often recommend beginners to go for a regular speedlite design flash - its not only good with macro (with a good bracket and diffuser setup) but also has a massive range of possible uses outside of the macro world. Giving the photographer a versatile tool that will greatly expand their working setup.

that is smallest umbrella ive seen ?!
maybe a small softbox, aurora have some 10X10

This is more the sort of size one has to think when going mobile with macro shooting:
LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | Softbox

You can go bigger to around the softbox 3 size on that site, but it gets a little more cumberson for mobile shooting.

The 30inch reflector would probably be fine for studio work, but as part of a mobile setup its just too big to work well unless the shooter has an assistant

This is more the sort of size one has to think when going mobile with macro shooting:
LumiQuest® Photographic Accessories | Softbox

You can go bigger to around the softbox 3 size on that site, but it gets a little more cumberson for mobile shooting.

The 30inch reflector would probably be fine for studio work, but as part of a mobile setup its just too big to work well unless the shooter has an assistant

an assistand to handle a flash stand and a 30 inch umbrella mounted on it. goooooooodddd looooord.

i shoot with a mobile setup with 3 flash, 3 stands, softboxes and umbrellas, sands bags and i manage to do everything i need to do by myself.

if someone cant haull is own umbrella and stand expecially for macro photography. goooooddd lord againn

How are you keeping your bugs in one place then is what I want to know ;) Like I said studio is fine and out in the field your probably ok with flowers - but insects are going to be all over the place (even in cooler conditions you can't guarantee that an insect will stay still for long and even small distances of movement will be a pain to have to readjust a whole static lighting setup)
Its not impossible but its not what I'd start with nor recommend as a main lighting setup

A sb-600 would deffinetly be more versatile since youll be able to use it all the time in full i-ttl

i would ask NateS what he is using, he posted some sick pictures of bugs and fly of all kind. i know he is using a lightning setup but im not sure what he is using

Pretty sure NateS was using a speedlite (note sure which one) and a lumiquest softbox on a bracket setup (not sure what kind of bracket). Its a common setup used by quite a few - LordV on flickr (and other places) is probably one of the most popular good photographers with that kind of lighting setup and even uses it for his greater than 1:1 macro work.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back