Macro starter kit?

I'm new to macro and trying to decide between the Canon RF 100mm macro and the Laowa 90mm RF macro lens.

Main pros of the the Canon RF 100mm seem to be (1) autofocus; and (2) image stabilization. But I'm struggling with whether that's worth the extra cost over the Laowa.

On autofocus, it's not going to be that effective when I'm very close to the subject, right? I'm seeing recommendations to use manual focus even if the lens has AF.

On image stabilization, I'm not sure that's adding a lot of value anyway. I'll either be on a tripod or using a flash with diffuser. And I'm just interested in photos not video. So not sure the stabilization justifies the added cost.

But what makes it harder to decide is I have an R6 Mark II and I'd like to be able to use the focus bracketing, but I'm assuming you have to have AF for that. So maybe the ability to focus bracket makes the Canon RF 100mm worth it even though perhaps the AF and IS without focus bracketing isn't worth the extra cost?

Would appreciate any advice! Thanks,
Rather than piggyback on Dwarf010's thread, you might be more polite to start your own.

Nikon d5100, 55-200 cheap plastic lens at 200mm, Raynox 2.5 (I think), popup flash.
iSuqEM5h.jpg

Start small and work your way. I now have a Nikkor 105 micro nikkor with the Nikon macro flash outfit. I haven't really shot anything with the new stuff that tops this

Most reactions

New Topics

Back