Which is a better camera package?

Pirouette

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit

Last edited:
I'm not sure if this is the right board for it.
But I figured it'd be the best suited.

I know the risks of buying from unauthorized dealers.
And I know the risks from buying from people like this.
Close friends of mine though, swear by these dealers.
So I think I'll test them out.

$849
D80_nikon_8gb_1855_dsn.jpg

$814
d80_3prolens_4gb_dsn.jpg

$769
dsn_d60_4l_16g.jpg

Kits like the ones above are marvelous tools to get you to #1 loose you money. If it sounds too good to be true, it is and #2 waste money on junk you don't need/want.

Lets start with the junk.

Wide angle and telephoto adapters. Great if you want lots of distortion in you photos. Add on stuff like that is usually low quality and you get low quality results. Plus the two supplied lenses are cover wide angle to telephoto.

Table top tripod. Great if you want you new camera and lens to topple over the first time you use it.

Deluxe Tripod. Perfectly fine for a small P&S. Unstable, and too weak for a DSLR. See result of using such a thing above.

Screen protector.
Usless.

Filter kit. The entire 5 piece kit is probably worth $10.00. Again, cheap stuff that will give you poor results.

Digital flash. Probably manual non dedicated flash with no TTL capabilities. Do you know how to use a manual flash?

Cards, cases and other stuff.
Low quality, over priced and often usless filler.

These packages are put together to appeal to the uninformed. They learn how uninformed after they buy them and find out how much money they wasted in the first place. You are better off doing some research and buying just what you need the first time instead of buying a bunch of useless junk that you will either not use or have to replace.

Take a look at someone like B&H or Adorama for gear.
B&H Photo Video | Digital Cameras, Camcorders
Digital cameras, all other cameras and everything photographic from Adorama Camera

Use the search function to find out about lenses or other accessories you might be interested in. Here are a couple of review sites as well:
Photo Test Center - Digital SLR Photography Blog
Digital Camera Reviews and News: Digital Photography Review: Forums, Glossary, FAQ

And finally, here is the best resource to check before you buy anything on line. Ratings and Reviews for 17,108 Stores at ResellerRatings.com: Search: Showing All Stores

I know the risks of buying from unauthorized dealers.
And I know the risks from buying from people like this.
Close friends of mine though, swear by these dealers.
So I think I'll test them out.

You will probably be ok buying from these dealers, just don't buy the packaged junk. If you buy the package you will end up replacing everything but the camera and glass. Figure out what you want and then buy from them. I do buy allot from ebay but only after knowing what I want. I have never had any trouble with these type dealers using e-bay or Amazon.

+1 for Adorama and B&H Photo.

DO NOT BUY any of those kits! The lenses are the cheaper versions of the current models. The flash will only work in manual mode. It is absolutely worthless. The lens adapters that they call lenses are also worthless. The big tripod is so flimsy, I would not trust it. The table top one is worthless. The SD cards look like they may be a known brand name but are off brand cheap ones.

These kits are for people who shop by getting the most items for a price. It is junk.

If you are willing to buy an import model. Check out cametacamera on ebay. You can get dealer demo cameras and lenses for a decent discount. They look and perform as new. I don't know this for a fact but I think they are just reboxed grey market stuff.

No matter where you go, stay away from these kits. Get the camera, and lenses, and a REAL flash.

Here is a perfect example.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/582224-REG/Nikon_9658_D80_SLR_Digital_Camera.html

Very reputable store. The 2 lenses are the better VR versions (longer one is different 70-200 vs 70-300) But the camera and 2 lenses is $50 cheaper than the horrable kits. And the 70-200 is better than the 70-300! Now add a SB600 flash which is $180. You are now spending $130 more but getting a much better kit!!!!!!!!!!!

And if you want to know. The cost new for the 70-300 listed in the kit you posted costs $134 brand new! Its a very inexpensive lens. So that kit is really not such a good deal as it seems.

Last edited:
Spend the extra money now and be alittle unhappy about it, be 10x happier later.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back