Which Is Better?

K9Kirk

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM vs Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art.
Anyone use either of these? I'm looking to replace my kit lens with something decent. Both lenses look to be pretty good but which do you think has the edge and why? Thanks for any input.

I'm a nikon guy myself, but I had an EXTENSIVE experience with Sigma (and tamron, really) on several platforms.
My opinion is very unpopular, but sigma isn't worth the gamble. You can get lucky, and get a sharp version, but the company is a bunch of lying scumbags who do not stand behind their product. Brand name is the only way to go.

I remember the days when Sigma was code for SIGnificant MAlfunction...i owned four Sigma EX-series lenses back in the mid-2000s. These were high-end telephoto zoom lenses and one 180 mm macro...they all had focusing issues. My only other Sigma was the 18-125 for Canon crop frame, which i bought with my Canon 20D back around 2005 I guess . I nicknamed it Derr Flaremeister.

You are really looking at two different type of lenses. One is an f/4 Zoom, and the other is an amazingly fast f / 1.8 Zoom. This is kind of like comparing a BMW with a Ford F350...there really is no comparison. Only in this case the F350 is more like a late 1990s model with 350,000 miles on it. The Sigma has fantastic specs...but its like an ollllld pickup... it might give you great service, but I do not expect it to last 10 years

I remember the days when Sigma was code for SIGnificant MAlfunction...i owned four Sigma EX-series lenses back in the mid-2000s. These were high-end telephoto zoom lenses and one 180 mm macro...they all had focusing issues. My only other Sigma was the 18-125 for Canon crop frame, which i bought with my Canon 20D back around 2005 I guess . I nicknamed it Derr Flaremeister.

You are really looking at two different type of lenses. One is an f/4 Zoom, and the other is an amazingly fast f / 1.8 Zoom. This is kind of like comparing a BMW with a Ford F350...there really is no comparison. Only in this case the F350 is more like a late 1990s model with 350,000 miles on it. The Sigma has fantastic specs...but its like an ollllld pickup... it might give you great service, but I do not expect it to last 10 years

Thanks Derrel, would you recommend any other wide angle zoom besides the Canon that's around $600? I'm willing to buy 'good used' also or would you recommend against that? (I'm always a little leery about it myself)

Tamron has been okay for me. I do not think that the third-party lenses are worth paying new price for, since they depreciate so rapidly.

I really think that buying used lenses is the smart way to go, especially if you buy from a large concern that has a refund policy. In terms of resale value, manufacturer-made lenses have always held an advantage over third party lenses, especially in high grade lenses that cost 1500 to $2,500 or more new.

I'd have a serious look at the 16-35mm f4 L IS. I've got one and it's a seriously sharp lens, newer than the 17-40mm, sharper, has IS and has better coatings meaning less CA. It's a little more expensive, but the extra features may be worth it to some. Though I'm not familiar with the market in the US, in the UK it is fairly frequently discounted by retailers here and if you manage to get it during a cashback offer it can significantly lower the price.

Unless you need the f1.8, then get the sigma.

If I could I would go with the canon l glass. I have found that there is sometimes a compatibility issue with sigma lenses and canon bodies.

Tamron has been okay for me. I do not think that the third-party lenses are worth paying new price for, since they depreciate so rapidly.

I really think that buying used lenses is the smart way to go, especially if you buy from a large concern that has a refund policy. In terms of resale value, manufacturer-made lenses have always held an advantage over third party lenses, especially in high grade lenses that cost 1500 to $2,500 or more new.

What do you think about a renewed (amazon) Canon EF 17-40mm f/4L USM? Would save me just over $110.

I have had renewed products from amazon I think they even give you some sort of grantee
I would look at the deal offer but it sounds good. Not sure what the price converts to in UK pounds /GBP
But sounds a good price to me

I have had renewed products from amazon I think they even give you some sort of grantee
I would look at the deal offer but it sounds good. Not sure what the price converts to in UK pounds /GBP
But sounds a good price to me

Converted it's 425.415.

If there is a decent warranty (time, terms, who does any needed repair) "renewed" might be a good deal. How does renewed differ from refurb?

Just my opinion, but the 17 -40 L always seemed to me to be an "economy " L....the 16-35 a full-fledged L series offering.

If there is a decent warranty (time, terms, who does any needed repair) "renewed" might be a good deal. How does renewed differ from refurb?

Just my opinion, but the 17 -40 L always seemed to me to be an "economy " L....the 16-35 a full-fledged L series offering.
I think the only difference is in the wording. Someone behind a desk probably thought it sounded better.

Refurbished Canon equipment carries a 1-year manufacturer's warranty, as far as I know. I am wondering if renewed equipment offers the same length of coverage.

Refurbished Canon equipment carries a 1-year manufacturer's warranty, as far as I know. I am wondering if renewed equipment offers the same length of coverage.

Well, I bought it just a little while ago, it comes with a 90 day amazon renewed guarantee >>> return within 90 days if it doesn't work as expected and yes, a 1 yr. warranty. I also bought a K&F ultra slim, 9 stop variable ND filter to go with it. It got pretty good reviews and was fairly cheap so I thought, why not?! I'll have them both by the 8th. Thanks again for all your help, I really do appreciate it.

Have fun and welcome to the l glass club
You do know it comes with a health warning
You will want more and it’s harmful to your bank balance

Most reactions

Back