For thouse who have a Nikon D70 i have a question
in your opinion which lens out of the two is better
the Nikon 50mm f1.4 D AF or theNikon 50mm f1.8

Holly

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I have not used the 1.8... I got the 1.4 because I can DO BOTh levels with this one..

JodieO

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.jottephotography.com
The 1.4 is better. It is better built, etc.

Now, the question is, is it really going to make a difference for you? It may not. I used to swear by my 50 mm/1.4 and now it doesn't like my D2X. Nikon themselves say that the D2X is too advanced for the 50 mm/1.4, go figure! lol! :) The 1.4 worked great on my D70 though.

If you are a hobbiest, go for the 1.8, and put the rest of your money toward another lens :)

OP
Nannii

Nannii

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
well the 2 lenses are the ones that are in my budget at the moment
so im thinking ether i spend all my money and get a good lens being the 1.4
or do i save that little bit of money and get the 1.8 ...

I want to get the best results i can .. and there is no one i know that has ether of the lenses so i could try them out and see for my self .. so I'm relying on what people tell me ..

Tiberius

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
In theory, the F1.4 is a tiny bit better - it's one more stop for letting in light faster and may be a touch sharper, but not much. The 50mm f/1.8 is one of the best bargains in the entire lineup - it's sharper than basically any other sub-$1300 lens.

bigfatbadger

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
I would (and did) get the 1.8, unless you're shooting in conditions where you really need every single last bit of speed, the difference is only half a stop and so you'll probably never notice it.

And for the difference in price I dont think there's enough difference in lens.

Arch

Damn You!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
if money isnt that important and you can easily save up again..... i would go with the 1.4..... but if like me, you dont have alot to keep spending on your camera equipment, get the 1.8......

Personally i think unless your a professional or VERY fussy about your images, you wont notice the difference...... but like Markc says..... the 1.4 has better bokeh...... thats about it.

Most reactions