Which lens? D40.

ponyboy4130

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I want to try a new lens, im a beginner, but what to see the difference with a new lens on my camera. Im going to be going to an indoor party, and want to get some candid shots of people. What do you recomend i get to try out? (im going to rent one online) I wanted to try a fixed lens like the nikon 1.4 or 1.4 but dont want to use manual focus, so maybe the sigma version, 1.4 i think? what MM? or what lens do you think would be my next lens, but good for an indoor people party?

I want to try a new lens, im a beginner, but what to see the difference with a new lens on my camera. Im going to be going to an indoor party, and want to get some candid shots of people. What do you recomend i get to try out? (im going to rent one online) I wanted to try a fixed lens like the nikon 1.4 or 1.4 but dont want to use manual focus, so maybe the sigma version, 1.4 i think? what MM? or what lens do you think would be my next lens, but good for an indoor people party?

i nice and cheap lens that good for situations like that is the Nikkor 50mm 1.8. its a pretty good and fast lens, and its cheap. i have one, dont use it as much as i used to but it doesnt fit my need for the type of photography im interested. i do love that lens though, and so do most people that own it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/247091-USA/Nikon_2137_Normal_AF_Nikkor_50mm.html

it can be found cheaper though.. good luck!

At an indoor party taking candid shots of people, even an f/1.8 lens is probably going to be on the slow side. You could use the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 HSM, but that's on the wide side. An 18-135 plus a flash would work pretty well though. Wide enough for group shots, and 105-135mm works perfectly for tight head shots.

Hmm, My biggest problem is being smart with my money, and getting Lenses that i can use on a camera after the d40 ( i want a d300 next... i think) and still getting AFS lenses now. the 105-135, would i be better with an 18-200 w/ a sb-600 flash? I want them all! :)

Hmm, My biggest problem is being smart with my money, and getting Lenses that i can use on a camera after the d40 ( i want a d300 next... i think) and still getting AFS lenses now. the 105-135, would i be better with an 18-200 w/ a sb-600 flash? I want them all! :)
I would say the 18-200 is better but more expensive. the Vibration Reduction helps too. Be warned about using the SB600, though, as you won't be able to position the flash off-camera (the D40 has no flash commander built in). You can buy one for A LOT of cash, but it isn't really worth it. Nevertheless, the 600 is a great flash.

Yea, i just got the sb600, for the price i figured it had good reviews, it will do for now, im going to try and rent the 18-200 lens for this party, i think its the next lens i need, i would buy the 50mm 1.8 but i want auto focus. Am i on the right track? i just dont get the zoom i want for head shots from the 18-55 kit lens

I read somewhere that the today's (new model of) 50mm f1.8 that does not autofocus with the D40 actually does autofocus with the high end cameras like D200, D300 and D3. But only people who have these cameras together with this lens can verify it.

Also I have done few portrait shots with my 50mm f1.8. I took photos of my workmate at work and myself, it is sharp as long it is focused correctly.

Anyway, ask members here who own the high end cameras and see what they say about the autofocusing.

I read somewhere that the today's (new model of) 50mm f1.8 that does not autofocus with the D40 actually does autofocus with the high end cameras like D200, D300 and D3. But only people who have these cameras together with this lens can verify it.
That must be the case, because only higher-end cameras (D80+) have built-in autofocusing motors. The lens still has a CPU, so it really should.

Anyway, good on ya for getting the SB-600. It's a great, powerful flash, so you should be happy with it. Now someone's mentioned the Sigma 30mm 1.4 as a no-no, I would actually recommend it. In 35mm film camera terms, 30mm digital is actually 45mm, which is near as damnit the magnification of the human eye.

Try taking some photos with your 18-55 kit lens on 30mm to see if the zoom is enough, then try it out at your camera store. If you really want AF, then that lens would do absolutely fine.

All you need for off-camera flash is an SC-28 or SC-29 cable. No need to spend tons of money on an SB-800 or an SU-800 commander. For a party, an SB-400 or 600 and bounce flashing should be perfectly fine. Also, the only thing you need a D200 or higher for is for metering on much older non-CPU lenses (AI, AI-s). All 1986 and newer AF or AF-D lenses with built-in CPUs will meter just fine on the D40/40x/60 cameras. They just won't autofocus. The D40/40x/60 DSLRS are the first ones built without the built in screw drive motor to focus the older lenses, hence needing AF-S or equivalent lenses that have their own built in motor for autofocusing. Every other DSLR and autofocus film body has had them.

A good chart is here: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/compatibility-lens.htm#dslr

Most reactions

Back