Which lens do I need?

mommyof3

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
I have a Sony Alpha 100 camera with a 18-70 lens. I am looking for a better lens that will capture my sons sports photos. I am limited on funds and was looking at the Tamron AF 70-3-- MM F/4.0-5.6 Macro zoom lens. I know nothing about taking photos really so this is all new to me. I just want to get a better lens so I can take better photos of his sports games. Most are outdoors. Thanks!

The Tamron she described is both a macro and telephoto, you can switch between the two using a little switch on the lens itself.

I have a Sigma that is very budget friendly and very similar to the Tamron that I am VERY happy with.
Maybe some more details may help with the choice. What kind of sports exactly? Do they normally playing during daylight hours or at night?
Something like football or soccer during the day the 300 would be nice for, but if it's like baseball or lacrosse during night time you might be happier with a lower zoom les that might be better in a lower light situation.

The Tamron she described is both a macro and telephoto, you can switch between the two using a little switch on the lens itself.

I have a Sigma that is very budget friendly and very similar to the Tamron that I am VERY happy with.
Maybe some more details may help with the choice. What kind of sports exactly? Do they normally playing during daylight hours or at night?
Something like football or soccer during the day the 300 would be nice for, but if it's like baseball or lacrosse during night time you might be happier with a lower zoom les that might be better in a lower light situation.

Thanks! Yes it is daytime sports (soccer , football , and basketball(indoors)) I would love to have something I can use for everything from my younger kids bday parties to the sports games.

Minolta "Maxxum" lenses fit and work on Sony A mount cameras including the Alpha 100. I have been very happy with my 100-300mm APO Minolta lens

Another option is the 70-210mm f4 'beercan' which is a highly rated lens.

An advantage with new glass, whichever mfr you choose, is a warranty.

Phil

The Tamron you first mentioned is probably your best option at the price. You should he aware though that it won't be super fast to focus as it is older budget tech. If you could up your budget the newer tamron with vc is good but it isn't much help to you to point something out that's to expensive.

The Tamron you first mentioned is probably your best option at the price. You should he aware though that it won't be super fast to focus as it is older budget tech. If you could up your budget the newer tamron with vc is good but it isn't much help to you to point something out that's to expensive.
Thanks:) that's another problem I am having with my a100....it takes so long to focus on the subject and I end up missing so many good photos! I reset my camera settings today back to factory but it's still not focusing quickly. Maybe it's the lens (18-70)

It could be the lens. Also the a100 was Sony's entry level camera a few years ago so newer tech is faster. It should still be pretty good though. Make sure you have autofocus set to continuous when doing sports. Learning to track moving Objects takes a little practice

The Minolta that Phil mentioned is a good cheap buy: http://www.keh.com/camera/Minolta-Maxxum-Zoom-Lenses/1/sku-MA079990721480?r=FE
The D version is better but more expensive.

The old 18-70mm was a poor lens. I suggest that you replace that with the newer 18-55mm, the image quality is higher.
The A100 did not have the fastest AF ... I suggest you upgrade at some point in the future.

I am not sure if the A100 is the best option for indoor sports (ie. basketball, specifically). High school gyms tend to have poor lighting, and the ISO capabilities of the A100 was not the best. However, if there is no other option, I would look for a fast glass. unfortunately, these tend to be pricey, so I would look at used Minolta lenses. I know their 50mm 1.7 is plentiful on eBay for about $70~80, but the lens may be a bit too short for basketball. For the rest, basically any lens will do... Specially if you use a flash indoors (you cannot use flash in a basketball game).

So, for basketball games, maybe something like one of these?

Used Sigma 28-70 2.8 Ex Dg F/maxxum

http://extrastock.net/Kenko-KENKO-TOKINA-review-B0001AR51G-4

If you could find a Minolta AF Maxxum 135mm f/2.8 in your price range, it would probably be ideal... But it may not be so easy to find in that price range.

Another option (mind you, not as "fast") would be the famous "Beercan" from minolta (Minolta AF Maxxum 70-210mm f/4); you trade in a bit of speed for more range. It should be available for around $200 on eBay too...

Hope this helps in your search!

Felipe

Most reactions

Back