Which lens..... Questions! :D

CRman

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Still new, still many questions. :wink: I am looking to replace the 18-55 kit lens that came with my D80. Just want a little sharper glass. All of the listed below are within my budget so to speak so I am just trying to get feed back on people that have used or could suggest a good replacement. Her are my narrowed down choices:

Tamron SP 28-75mm f/2.8 XR Di LD-IF Autofocus Zoom Lens for Nikon AF

Sigma 24-70mm f/2.8 EX Aspherical DG DF AutoFocus Standard Zoom Lens with Hood for Nikon AF Cameras

Sigma 28-70mm f/2.8 EX DG AutoFocus Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon AF-D Cameras

Sigma 24-60mm f/2.8 EX DG Aspherical AutoFocus Standard Zoom Lens with Hood for Nikon AF D Cameras

Nikon 24-120mm f/3.5-5.6G ED-IF AF-S VR (Vibration Reduction) Wide Angle Telephoto Zoom Nikkor Lens

Sigma 17 - 70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC HSM Macro AutoFocus Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon AF Cameras

I like the last one (sigma 17-70) as it offers the macro feature as well as a wider 17mm option. I am already going to get the sigma 10-20 or 12-24 for landscape as it would be a favorite to shoot.

Any pros or cons form folks here that have experience with these or suggestions? And as for renting the lens, I have looked all over town and called... no one rents them here. A few places will let you walk out and demo a lens but it gives you no real world perspective in a given situation.

I am also not opposed to anything that might not be listed. I really dont want to go over 700 for the lens but would consider it. I like saving a little to buy extra accesories.

Thanks in advance!

PS... I dont use spell check! :D

Get a fast prime lens, they are cheap and very fast:)

Just curious about why you want a "sharper" lens. I wasn't aware that there was anything wrong w/ the 18-55. Perhaps it's strong as the 55-200/55-300 but it's capable of great shots.

Got a 50mm f/1.8 already.

There isnt anything worong so to speak with the lens. It take decent photos. I did get the 55-200 as well. I like that one. Good glass to me is what makes the difference. I havent touched an SLR in 10-12 years. just point and shoot digitals and a few nice ones at that. I bought the D80 to learn on and move up from there. As an avid marksman a rule of thumb is even a $1K+ rifle with a $100 scope is going to shoot like a $100 rifle.... The glass on top should be at least 3/4 the cost of the rifle... if not more than it. Expensive hobby but you know what your looking at when you get into it. The better your equipment the less room for error....except for the human factor. Better equipment helps to lessen this. As does time spent experiementing with whatever it is you plan on using it for.
I get the camera glued to me as it is now. Shooting everything I can. Different lenses can only further my experience and help me narrow daow what is needed and what is not. Trial and error....

I gotcha. Points well made and that makes a lot of sense to me.

Looking at the list Im will to bet the Tamron is the least expensive and, is no doubt a good lense. I have their 28-300mm and, love it. It is a great little performer at a great price. I use it as my general walking around lense.

Eh... stock lens is perfectly good. Either get different sizes or improve 12 inches behind the camera.

Got a 50mm f/1.8 already.

There isnt anything worong so to speak with the lens. It take decent photos. I did get the 55-200 as well. I like that one. Good glass to me is what makes the difference. I havent touched an SLR in 10-12 years. just point and shoot digitals and a few nice ones at that. I bought the D80 to learn on and move up from there. As an avid marksman a rule of thumb is even a $1K+ rifle with a $100 scope is going to shoot like a $100 rifle.... The glass on top should be at least 3/4 the cost of the rifle... if not more than it. Expensive hobby but you know what your looking at when you get into it. The better your equipment the less room for error....except for the human factor. Better equipment helps to lessen this. As does time spent experiementing with whatever it is you plan on using it for.
I get the camera glued to me as it is now. Shooting everything I can. Different lenses can only further my experience and help me narrow daow what is needed and what is not. Trial and error....

Have actually given thought to that particular lens...the tamron 28-300. Another I have considered is the

Tamron 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Auto Focus Lens for Nikon

The tamron does come out on the least expensive of the group and of course the nikon being the higher dollar. I have heard great about all the manufatures as of recent being most have stepped up their game to compete with the likes of canon, nikon and sony.
Research is key here.... I really wish I could find a place to rent!!! :x LOL

Have actually given thought to that particular lens...the tamron 28-300. Another I have considered is the

Tamron 24-135mm f/3.5-5.6 Aspherical Auto Focus Lens for Nikon

The tamron does come out on the least expensive of the group and of course the nikon being the higher dollar. I have heard great about all the manufatures as of recent being most have stepped up their game to compete with the likes of canon, nikon and sony.
Research is key here.... I really wish I could find a place to rent!!! :x LOL
Well they just came ourt with an image stabilized lense of the one I have. I might sell mine and, get one. The 18-55 is actually a great little lense but, the 24-135 would give you some more range over that. It really depends on what you are shooting.

Sigma 17 - 70mm f/2.8-4.5 DC HSM Macro AutoFocus Wide Angle Zoom Lens for Nikon AF Cameras

I like the last one (sigma 17-70) as it offers the macro feature as well as a wider 17mm option. I am already going to get the sigma 10-20 or 12-24 for landscape as it would be a favorite to shoot.

I have this lens. I bought when I gave my 18-70 kit lens to my wife. All around it is a pretty good lens. It has taken some nasty knocks and still works great. I think it is as good as the 18-70 Nikon lens and cost about the same. Good value for the price.

Welcome to the forum!

Well they just came ourt with an image stabilized lense of the one I have. I might sell mine and, get one. The 18-55 is actually a great little lense but, the 24-135 would give you some more range over that. It really depends on what you are shooting.

I'm really liking my Tamron SP 24-135. Very good results.

KK

im on a similar boat, but i was only looking at the 20-80 range. it was either

the tamron 28-75mm or nikkor/sigma 24-70mm.

i kept going back and forth with the tamron 28-75mm and nikkor 24-70mm. i decided to go with the 24-70mm..

also. i dont think that sigma 17-70mm is a true macro lens.

anyways. i say go for the tamron 28-75mm. thats under $700, and you can probably get a filter with it.

I have this lens. I bought when I gave my 18-70 kit lens to my wife. All around it is a pretty good lens. It has taken some nasty knocks and still works great. I think it is as good as the 18-70 Nikon lens and cost about the same. Good value for the price.

Welcome to the forum!

i own this lens as well, and it's on my camera most of the time. it's pretty sharp and can focus very close for "macro" shots

I've used the sigma 24-60mm and the tamron 28-75mm--I preferred the sigma, but they are both great lenses.

The problem with sigma is the quality control... don't buy a used sigma and always keep your warranty information; you'll know within a couple weeks if you have a copy worth keeping.

Most reactions

Back