Which lens should I get next?

Sep

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
So I'm an amature photographer. I'm finally starting to have decent compositions, but even then it's hard for me to find these compositions, most of my shots go to waste and I take them just so I can later look at them and try to learn from them. Basically the environment has to be perfect for me to get good shots, I can't pull off amazing pictures out of really simple things. Anywho...

I have a Canon 350D (Rebel XT) body. I started with the 50mm 1.8 II, and learned a lot from it and had a lot of fun with it. After a bit I got the Canon 28-105 3.5-4.5 USM II. Which is what I have right now, because I traded my 50mm 1.8 with a friend for an iPhone. :O

So recently I got a decent paying job (I'm a college student), and I'm saving my money for a new lens. I'm not sure if I should keep saving until I have 1.3K and buy a Canon 24-70mm 2.8 L type lens or to buy the 50mm 1.4 now, and then get the 24-70mm later.

I really feel like I need a new lens to play with, hence the 50mm 1.4, and I really want a good lens. but I also know the limitations of prime lens and feel like I will become bored real quick. But this is a lens that I want anyway. I plan on getting it after the 24-70mm(if I get this first that is). But if I get the 50mm now, then i feel like it will just delay the 24-70mm which I feel like is the jack pot here.

I'm planning on making a little studio in my basement. I dont even know how I'm going to do this to be honest.. Tomorrow after work I'm going to some how figure out how I can make some home made lighting with standard bulb sockets and will buy flu recent and tungsten bulbs so I can experiment with both.

I plan on doing some still life, and possibly some portraits, and I feel like the 50mm 1.4 would be really handy here. Even the 1.8 would be nice.

But then I know one thing will lead to another and I will just buy stuff for the "studio" and who knows when I will get the L lens.

I was hoping some of you fellow photographers could help me figure out a plan on what to do.

Glass, 1st and foremost (24-70). It has the biggest impact, equipment wise, on the quality of the sharpness, contrast and saturation your images.

Next is a good tripod.

Then play with a studio.

Glass, 1st and foremost (24-70). It has the biggest impact, equipment wise, on the quality of the sharpness, contrast and saturation your images.

Next is a good tripod.

Then play with a studio.

How much are we talking about for a good tripod. I used to have one and it was just plain obvious it was a cheap one. For Christmas my parents got me another one and it's much better. I don't know his much it was but it's pretty sturdy and firm.

A couple hundred to start... Usually you'll have to buy the head and legs separately.

Don't know what you have already, but if it's nice and sturdy you may not need an upgrade.

Do you know how much weight it's rated to hold?

There is no way I would pay $1,300 for a Canon 24-70mm L lens for use on a Rebel 350...just simply no way I would even reccommend that lens for use on a low-MP crop body camera. It will be limiting, and the price is far too high for what you'll get. If you are interested in a studio, or studio photography, I'd suggest looking into $99 Adorama Flashpoint monolights and their matching light stands and umbrellas for $129 with free shipping.

Light is what makes photos,and learning more about lighting will make you a far better photographer than simply buying an oversized, overpriced lens that'll be less useful than a cheaper 17-55 lens designed for the camera you have and the cameras you'll probably be able to afford for the net five years. A 38-112mm point of view for $1,300? Not a good value--no real tele, no real wide, and one, big, nose-diving lens on a 350.

Save some money, and buy some real monolights--skip fluorescent bulbs--most are pure junk,and of limited use. Consider buying some better-chosen accessories and a lens, or a small set of three or even four Canon prime lenses that'll be of more use than the 24-70-L.

There is no way I would pay $1,300 for a Canon 24-70mm L lens for use on a Rebel 350...just simply no way I would even reccommend that lens for use on a low-MP crop body camera. It will be limiting, and the price is far too high for what you'll get. If you are interested in a studio, or studio photography, I'd suggest looking into $99 Adorama Flashpoint monolights and their matching light stands and umbrellas for $129 with free shipping.

Light is what makes photos,and learning more about lighting will make you a far better photographer than simply buying an oversized, overpriced lens that'll be less useful than a cheaper 17-55 lens designed for the camera you have and the cameras you'll probably be able to afford for the net five years. A 38-112mm point of view for $1,300? Not a good value--no real tele, no real wide, and one, big, nose-diving lens on a 350.

Save some money, and buy some real monolights--skip fluorescent bulbs--most are pure junk,and of limited use. Consider buying some better-chosen accessories and a lens, or a small set of three or even four Canon prime lenses that'll be of more use than the 24-70-L.

What prime lenses do you recommend? I've been putting some thought into upgrading to a 40D.

The 24-70mm has the zoom function though which will be pretty dandy. I use the zoom on my 28-105 quite often. And to be honest I dont necessarily always use the high range. I usually get as close as I can, but then a fence or something is usually the limiting factor, so then I have to zoom to fine tune. I just want a good fast zoom lens. I considered the lens that I did because it has a good glass and it produces good pictures yeah, right now it would be silly for me to put it on a rebel xt, but its not going to be my camera for ever. In the long run I will be saving money by just cutting to a better lens.

With my thinking I feel like I should have a really good zoom lens and one or two good prime lens. I was reading a thread on here, and from what I picked up, with prime lenses you get better quality pictures, than a comparable zoom lens in terms of price. So if I really want a good zoom lens than I will have to spend more. In many ways, the 50mm 1.8 I had took better pictures than the 28-105 I have right now, and it cost a fraction of the price. 80 vs 230.

I dont do much telephoto, well I dont do telephoto pictures at all hence why I like the range on the L lens. But what do you recommend for a zoom lens then? I want something good. Something comparable to L series quality glass. Because I can always work more and get another lens, so it's not like I have limited budget in the long term. I make a little less than 1000 a month. I pay a 100 bucks a month for insurance and about 80 for gas per month.

I'm not upgrading my camera right now because I've seen what it can do with a good lens, and to me thats sufficient right now.

A couple hundred to start... Usually you'll have to buy the head and legs separately.

Don't know what you have already, but if it's nice and sturdy you may not need an upgrade.

Do you know how much weight it's rated to hold?

nope. =/

Most reactions

Back