Which Lens should i keep.

dhp78us

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hello..

I just have some basic novice type equipment and I wound up with 2 lenses that seem to be redundant. So I was thinking that I should probably sell one off and perhaps get something else that provides more diversity.

The first lens:
[h=1]Tamron Zoom Telephoto AF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Di LD Macro Autofocus Lens for Canon EOS Mfr # AF017C-700 (I bought new 3 years ago)[/h]
The Second Lens:
Canon EF 75-300mm F/4-5.6 III Autofocus Telephoto Zoom Lens - USA MFR: 6473A003 (Still new, in the box)

Which one is better overall....?

Thanks!

Why don't you shoot the same images with the same setting and decide for yourself. If everything is technically correct, the rest is subjective anyway.

Why don't you shoot the same images with the same setting and decide for yourself. If everything is technically correct, the rest is subjective anyway.

^That. You've already GOT them both. Test them under the same conditions at various focal lengths and apertures and see which one gives results you like better. Pay special attention to how good they are zoomed all the way out to 300, as many lenses get quite soft zoomed out.

My money's on the Canon to have the edge.

dxomark suggests the cannon is sharper corner-to-corner throughout the zoom range.

Good idea.. I don't trust my untrained eye 100% but I tried a few shot on my own. I tried 200mm and 300mm and f5.6 and f8.

I preferred the cannon for all 3. Seemed to be ever so slightly sharper and a good deal more contrast. I assome it was difference in the lens because I kept everything else equal as far as I can tell. I use tripod and 2s delay to take my unsteady hand out of the equation. Also, I gave my wife the test and she selected the canon for all 3 as well.

So, its as simple as that?

Good idea.. I don't trust my untrained eye 100% but I tried a few shot on my own. I tried 200mm and 300mm and f5.6 and f8. I preferred the cannon for all 3. Seemed to be ever so slightly sharper and a good deal more contrast. I assome it was difference in the lens because I kept everything else equal as far as I can tell. I use tripod and 2s delay to take my unsteady hand out of the equation. Also, I gave my wife the test and she selected the canon for all 3 as well. So, its as simple as that?

You can take it a few steps further and try low light shots action shots handheld shots etc.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back