Which lens suits my needs?

Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I had posted this in the beginners area, but I decided to venture out into greener fields as I have not yet done so, so here I am. Any advice is welcome.

I am now in the market for my long-awaited digital after the issue with my 35mm's advance film trigger no longer working on my current camera. I was hoping to get the Rebel XT, but then I discovered the Rebel XTi 'body only' wasn't that much more expensive, but offered more mega pixels, etc. SO I was wondering if there is any kind advice out there for a beginner on what lens will best suit my needs?

I am going to be using my camera mostly on portrait-like shoots (Human model, automotive, and animal) and seeing as buying the Rebel XTi body-only is nice and snug in my price range, I can afford to buy a lens that is best suited for my work. Any advice on which is the best bang for the buck for portrait shoots?

Remember- I am on a budget, and kinda using FutureShop.ca as my price reference here, Lol, but any comments and/or advice is welcome! Going shopping tomorrow!

For portraits something in the 35-80mm range would cover full body to headshots. Look for a low aperture if prices allow as this creates separation from the background. I think Sigma and Tamron make some affordable f/2.8 zooms in roughly this range.

Most reactions

Back