Which Lens?

If you're looking for a great wide zoom, the Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 DC OS HSM is arguably the best, optically, on the market (third-party, that is). It's a magnificent lens. NOT the Sigma 17-70mm The 17-50mm. The Tamron's AF is questionable, and often unreliable. The Nikon 18-105 is sharp, but distortion is a killer, and the variable aperture is good to avoid if you have the means. The 16-85 is a good lens, but, I still stand by the 17-50 being a better lens overall.

Mark

Thanks Mark. There is about a $200 difference in the sigma 17-50, and the sigma 17-70. Is it worth the extra cost.

for what it's worth (i have Canon stuff), i use a 17-55 on my camera 85% of the time.
it's a great focal length for a crop sensor. i use it mostly for birthdays, holidays and walking around town.
it's wide enough to get everyone in the shot and if you need further reach, just walk a little closer.

the other 15% i use a 70-200.
and because you care, i am currently saving for a 10-22 to shoot landscape.

I think the tamron 17-50 is better. You will enjoy its constant aperture. The wide angle is also nice! And it isn't so expensive.

Ok I went with Nikon d7000 with nikon 16-85 with and a sb-700. I'm super excited!!!! Spent a little more than I wanted to but oh well :) can't wait for it to come in! Thank you so much to everyone who helped me with my decision.

You are definitely a lucky guy. I wish you to enjoy your equipment. You will love it (especially that lense).

Sent from my GT-I9000 using Tapatalk

I have the 16-85, with the "stepmother" of your camera (the D90) and I think they are a great couple. I'll only change the 16-85 when (if) I go full frame.

If, one day, you feel that the 16-85 is too dark for some occasions (e.g. weddings in churches), the AF-D 50 F/1.8 is only 130 USD and the perfect companion of the 16-85.

Ciao!

Most reactions

Back