Which lensbaby is the right one for me?

wise

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
After seeing through a lot of pictures made with a lensbaby I finally decided to get one myself. But I am still not sure which one. First I thought the lensbaby composer, `cause I saw some amazing photos with it and it seems to be easy to handle. Then I thought maybe the control freak, `cause I`d also like to try some macro shots (they say at the lensbaby homepage that it`s suitable for tabletop and macro photography). And now finally I saw some really amazing pictures with the original lensbaby to which the Muse would be closest. Can you tell me where exactly is the difference between these three, in style and in usage?

I'm using a control freak although I think that it had another name at the time I bought it. I got that model because I wanted a finer adjustment and the threaded rods provide great fine tuning. It takes a bit to get used to the manipulation but you soon get used to it. I have not used the other models so I can't give you a comparison.

I generally use the f/2.8 disc and look for subjects where I can keep a fairly small circle in focus while blurring the majority of the image. And I always use a tripod.

Feel free to PM me if I can give you more info.

I use the 3G (now called the control freak), my DH gave it to me for Christmas last year (or the year before). It was the newest model at the time. The newest one, the Composer, though I have not personally used it, seems even easier to use. The other two earlier models look harder to use because there is no locking mechanism in them so you have to compress the bellows and hold it while taking a shot. Very hard to do with my little hands. Click on the link at the top of the page to take you to the Lensbaby website so you can read about each model. Best yet, got to a camera store and try them yourself. These really need to be held in your own hands to make a decision on which one you want.

... These really need to be held in your own hands to make a decision on which one you want.
Unfortunately, that's not a viable option for some, like me. :( - I'd love to, but other and a local Ritz and Best Buy, the next closest thing to a camera shop is well over an hour's drive from here, one way.

Thank you for your advice. I just decided I`ll go for the composer. I`ve seen great images made with it and it seems to be convenient to use.

Recently purchased a Lensbaby (Composer) for my trusty Nikon... It's great fun, but there is a bit of a learning curve. It takes some experimentation and practice to place that “sweet-spot” of focus where you want it in your composition, particularly when using apertures greater than f4. It can be a little frustrating at first.

Enjoy your new lens!

Thanks DepthAfield. That`s what I bought it for: experimentation. :D

I bought the basic one several years ago. I use the f/5.6 disk the most because it makes it a little easier to nail a shot.

I use the 3G as well, which I had no idea the name changed to a control freak. I really like it, although I find it to be tricky to get the sweet spot just right. It produces great images and I like the rods to get the focus just right.

I got the 3g like a month ago. I would love to have the composer because it seems a lot easier to use but the 3g was only $100 on ebay so it was $100 cheeper. I would also love to have the optic swap system oh well maybe some day. I dont even think I will buy the macro filters for it because I have 20+ filters that I have just been holding in front of the lens. Sure its a bit awkward but it gives nice results especially my soft filter. Good luck with finding the one that is right for you.

I like to shoot Macro....flowers and such....I've seen what Lensbaby can do and I plan to buy. But, I don't know which one to buy for Macro. Any suggestions?
Thanks...

Most reactions

New Topics

Back