Which lense is best to keep with my T4i?

clockmaker

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Okay, I need some advice on which of 2 lenses to keep. I don't think I need to keep both since they are so close in range but maybe I should. One is older but I have had some good photos with it in the past on my 20D. The older lense is a Canon Ultrasonic zoom EF 100-300 mm f4.5 - 5.6. The new lense came with my T4i and is a Canon EF 75-300mm f4.5 - 5.6 III. Other than the new one having a little bit more range which of these 2 would be better to keep for the new camera? I am a beginner at all this so I am at a loss as to what I should do. I tried reading reviews and didn't really learn much from that. I plan to get an L zoom down the road but for now, am stuck with what I have due to financial considerations. I mostly photograph wildlife and outdoors subjects.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions/recommendations.

JB

I would keep both, use the newer lens and keep the older for insurance!

He has a good point but if you are selling one of for need of cash I would keep the newer one.

I don't know either lens but maybe put the older one away in a box and list it on eBay as a Buy Now fortop asking price.Maybe after a while you'll get a buyer.
Okay, I need some advice on which of 2 lenses to keep. I don't think I need to keep both since they are so close in range but maybe I should. One is older but I have had some good photos with it in the past on my 20D. The older lense is a Canon Ultrasonic zoom EF 100-300 mm f4.5 - 5.6. The new lense came with my T4i and is a Canon EF 75-300mm f4.5 - 5.6 III. Other than the new one having a little bit more range which of these 2 would be better to keep for the new camera? I am a beginner at all this so I am at a loss as to what I should do. I tried reading reviews and didn't really learn much from that. I plan to get an L zoom down the road but for now, am stuck with what I have due to financial considerations. I mostly photograph wildlife and outdoors subjects.

Thanks in advance for any comments/suggestions/recommendations.

JB

If you sell the newer one shoot me a price. I am in northeast oklahoma in a border town.

If you read reviews, you know that, for image quality, 75-300 is mediocre (not to be confounded with 70-300, far superior). Also 100-300 is not great. Both are without IS (unless you have the IS version of 75-300).
However, it seems that the USM autofocus of 100-300 is faster, and more silent, so even if the lens is older, it might be a better choice for wildlife.
Alternatives: sell both and buy a 70-200/4 used with some extra money on top, or buy a 55-250IS which is better than 75-300 and stabilized (and you have some extra money for a tripod).

http://www.thephotoforum.com/forum/...products/74323-canon-75-300-vs-100-300-a.html

Consider selling both. A 70-200 f4L will run you ~$550 used and is an awesome lens for outdoor shooting.

The price of the new EF 70-200mm f/4L is quite good at this moment. You can pick one up from Amazon for $579 with free shipping.

Sell both and get a fixed aperture.
I've never Gone back to variable lenses

Most reactions

Back