which lenses

marmots

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
i am a beginner and I am looking to buy my first slr. i was wondering what lenses i should start with.

This is a VERY difficult question to answer. There are alot of variables. What are you interested in photographing? What is your budget? What camera body are you buying? If you can narrow this somewhat, we might be able to help a bit. I think if you are just getting started with no photography experience whatsoever, a focal length range of about 17/18mm to 50/60mm covers alot of ground. As for WHICH lens in this range (because there are many), cost becomes an important factor as does the amount of available light you plan on shooting in (outdoors? indoors with available light? flash only?).

Welcome and prepare for the addiction to follow :lol:

Since you're a beginner you might as well just start off with the kit lens that comes with the DSLR and then just work on your basic shooting skills (exposure, composition, etc...). You'll eventually start to feel like the kit lens is holding you back and you may have a better idea of the type of lens you'll need for the type of shooting you do.

subjects: wildlife, closeups of nature, closeups of moving water, and fast things.
body: most likely canon rebel xti.
lighting: outdoor and flash
budget:very low ( im 14 and only half paying for it.)
so something with decent zoom capabilities, something else with a good closeup, and something with a wide angle

i already am addicted with just my crappy point and shoot

subjects: wildlife, closeups of nature, closeups of moving water, and fast things.
body: most likely canon rebel xti.
lighting: outdoor and flash
budget:very low ( im 14 and only half paying for it.)
so something with decent zoom capabilities, something else with a good closeup, and something with a wide angle

i already am addicted with just my crappy point and shoot
+1 on start with a 18-55 mm kit lens and learn to use the camera's features.

Decent zoom capabilities for wildlife (300 mm) will cost about the same as your camera.

The expense in DSLR photography is in the lenses since more than 1 can be used on the same camera body.

ok ill start with that

Most reactions

New Topics

Back