Which macro lens/diopter for Pentax K10D?

TwoTon

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Hi everyone,

I just bought my first DSRL, a Pentax K10D, as well as a SIGMA 70-300mm F4.0-5.6 DG APO.

Since I love to photograph insects and small plants, I'd now like to know what equipment would allow me to get magnifications up to 4:1.

I've perused many a photo instruction book, including Shaw's "Nature Photography Field Guide", and have come to the conclusion that either of the two following solutions may be best:

1. A dedicated 150 mm (or 100 mm?) macro lens. Which ones are best one for the K10D? (3rd parties are fine)

2. A 2-element diopter. Which ones are best one for the Sigma lens?

Thank you very much in advance for your kind replies!

Cheers

TT

Just so I understand, you want to be able to photograph something so that the image on your sensor is four times life size? That's going to be a very expensive lens (a good 1:1 macro runs $400+). You can do it by stacking close-up lenses, but the resulting image quality is horrible.

I agree with tiredIron, a lens with a 4:1 reproduction ratio is not only going to be stupidly expensive, but also very rare. That basically means that a 6mm object will fill the camera's frame. A 1:1 repro ratio is fine for most applications, and you can always crop the image.

If you really want to, you could get a 50 or 60mm macro lens (which, on its own, isn't that good for wildlife as you need to get closer to the insect) and get a set of extension tubes to boost the lens to 100-150mm. You'll be able to focus just as closely, but the magnification will be huge. However, the maximum aperture will decrease, and you might lose your camera's ability to autofocus.

Tamron makes a 90MM macro that gets rave reviews. I have never heard a bad thing said about it. I don't have one, but want to get one SOMEDAY. Voitlander made a 125MM macro that has a legendary status, they're out of production now, but you can find them once in a while on eBay, or photog sites such as this one in the Buy and Sell section.

Yes... there are two Tamron's in fact.

The 90mm f2.5 Macro Adaptall (1:2) is a known good macro lens. Unfortunately, it is a completely manual lens (predates digital). There is also 2x teleconverter designed to work with it to bring 1:1 macro. There are two threads with samples of mine.. just search under usayit. You'll need an adaptall K-mount adapter and know how to use that K10D with manual lenses.

There is also a newer AF 90mm f2.8 Macro as well (1:1). No experience with it but I hear it is a good one as well:

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/90mm.asp

As for a 4:1 macro... there is so much involved... The Canon MP-E 65 is capable but extremely expensive and extremely difficult to use. On top of the expensive lens, you'll need a very stable support, focusing rails, and a good macro flash.

Most reactions

Back