Which Nikon DSLR?

If you want metal bodies, get the D200. It's 90% of the D2x for 50% of the price. The D200 has a pop up flash so you can easily use your SB-800 wirelessly for some really neat effects in the field. I use CLS all the time with my SB-600/D70s combination and it gives fantastic results everytime.

cvjarrod said:
AF NIKKOR 24-50mm 1:3.3-4.5
AF NIKKOR 80-200mm 1:2.8 D
NIKKOR 15mm 1:3.5
Nikon Teleconverter TC-201 2X
Nikon Speedlight SB-24
Nikon MB-21
The Lenses will all work just fine, but the rest of your accessories are questionable.

The Teleconverter SHOULD work.
The Speedlight should mount fine but will only work in Manual Mode since it doesn't support iTTL (which all current Nikon DSLRs - D40, D50, D70/s, D80, D200, and D2 series - use). You could either live with this or replace it with an SB-600.
The MB-21 is only compatible with the F4, period.

Big thanks to all!

I know a lot more about this subject now (Which still isn't much). Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Since there is some confusion and I wasn't sure, I did some research. Your 15 will work with the D200 and D2X but not with any of the other Digital Nikon SLR's which need a cpu lens to boot. You can use the digital rangefinder as a focusing aid. You can also use aperture priority as well as manual automation and C/W and spot metering with these cameras.

I couldn't find any information on the TC201. It might work with the D200 and D2x. It certainly will not with the others. That clarifies some of it, anyway. Take care.

fmw - Why, out of curiosity, would it not work with any of the others?

Also, the 15mm will work perfectly fine on all the Nikon Digital Bodies, it just won't meter on anything less than a D200 - you'll have to use Manual Exposure Mode.

Tiberius said:
fmw - Why, out of curiosity, would it not work with any of the others?

Also, the 15mm will work perfectly fine on all the Nikon Digital Bodies, it just won't meter on anything less than a D200 - you'll have to use Manual Exposure Mode.

No so because the 15 and the TC201 are not CPU lenses. They are pre-AF. Without a CPU in the lens, the camera won't boot up. It will show an error message on the display and won't function. I got this information from http://www.nikonusa.com. In the tech specs for each camera is a list of compatible lens types. The D2 and D200, I suppose, are designed for people who already have a collection of Nikkors. The amateur bodies assume the opposite, I guess. As an example, the specs for my D80 say any F mount lens with AF interface and contacts will work. That would exclude all the pre-AF lenses.

This is also true of recently released film Nikons below the F6.

Tiberius said:
This is correct. The manuals for the D70 and the D50 both state that non-CPU lenses can be used with manual focus and no metering. They do recommend CPU lenses and the manuals list specific non-CPU lenses that won't work. The TC201 will also work.

To the original poster; I'd recomend the D200 based on your need for high frame rate. I went back and forth between the D2Xs and the D200 and eventually decided that, for me, the addtional features of the D2xs weren't necessary.

OK, so only the D80 and D40 won't work with non-cpu lenses. It is all too confusing for me. Take care.

fmw said:
No so because the 15 and the TC201 are not CPU lenses. They are pre-AF. Without a CPU in the lens, the camera won't boot up. It will show an error message on the display and won't function. I got this information from http://www.nikonusa.com. In the tech specs for each camera is a list of compatible lens types. The D2 and D200, I suppose, are designed for people who already have a collection of Nikkors. The amateur bodies assume the opposite, I guess. As an example, the specs for my D80 say any F mount lens with AF interface and contacts will work. That would exclude all the pre-AF lenses.

This is also true of recently released film Nikons below the F6.
I've USED MF lenses on a D50 and a D70s. It certainly works. And, no, the D80 and D40 will both still shoot with MF glass in Manual Mode.

Looks like I'll be going with the D200. Hoping to order it next week.

I'll report back on how the 15 works with this frame.

Thanks for all your help!

Most reactions

New Topics

Back