Which of these are stronger?

nerwin

Been spending a lot of time on here!
Reaction score
Website
nickerwin.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
When I bought my Nikon 70-200 f/4 VR, it came with a Vello TC-N1 tripod collar which has so-so positive reviews. I didn't read a comment of the actual tripod collar breaking and it actually is built pretty well, I have to admit. But what a few people have had happen is the tripod bushing has broken in half. Which is scary if you are using it with a BR strap.

So I thought about changing it to a different bushing for a peace of mind but I was wondering if anyone could tell which of these two bushings are stronger and better?

1. Oben 3/8"-16 to 1/4"-20 Reducer Bushing OB-1039 B&H

2. Wimberley BS-100 3/8"-16 to 1/4"-20 Brass BS-100 B&H

It's kind of scary known you have like a $1400 lens (in my case $1000) hanging off a 2-3 dollar part haha. While I could mount it on the body, I really like how well it balances when the strap is connected to the tripod collar.

Thanks!

I'd get the Oben. It appears to be made of steel, and it has a beefy top flange for more torque-y tightening.

As usual, periodic checking/tightening is highly advised.

They are cheap enough, I could just get one of each but yeah after looking at the Oben, it does look more beefier.

It seems unlikely to me that the bushing itself would break. What does seem likely is that it would pull out of the molded "threads" in the foot, in which case changing it won't help a bit. That said, my preference would be for the brass insert since steel on brass is much less likely to bind than steel on steel.

It seems unlikely to me that the bushing itself would break. What does seem likely is that it would pull out of the molded "threads" in the foot, in which case changing it won't help a bit. That said, my preference would be for the brass insert since steel on brass is much less likely to bind than steel on steel.

I'm sure the Nikon RT-1 is made better than the Vello but at $165 its a bit insane. I see them used on eBay for around $90-120. Still overpriced in my opinion.

The lens isn't that heavy so its not a big deal if I use the tripod socket on the camera it self. Its just balances better when I use my BR strap on the lens collar.

I'm not so sure. The Vello looks nearly identical to the stock foot on my 200-500; basically moulded plastic with a Heli-coil type insert pressed in to it.

I'm not so sure. The Vello looks nearly identical to the stock foot on my 200-500; basically moulded plastic with a Heli-coil type insert pressed in to it.

The one I have its all metal. There isn't any plastic on it whatsoever. The only thing that isn't metal is the felt on the inside of the ring.

What Derrel said go with the brass so you end up with steel on brass. Steel on steel and aluminum on aluminum have a tendency to grab each other. Brass on steel, aluminum or brass does not have a tendency to grab. Same reason the best Polarize filters have brass filter rings instead of aluminum.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back