Which of this two versions of the picture is better?

Gerardo_G

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
The picture is for presenting one of my works: Sculpting a Crane. My intention is for the observer to be able to see the subject as is but to also make it look more interesting. I used the dark background as an ethical way to "conceal" an element I dislike of the subject: the space between two layers at the right edge. It looks like a black vertical line in the picture. That space between the layers compromises the desired illusion of being a heavy block. Version A was criticized for being too dark to show the subject properly, that was why I made version B.

Which of this two versions of the picture is better and why?

A.

uc

B.
uc

I'm an amateur with an amateur camera. I probably didn't use the best settings:

Camera: Canon PowerShot A1200
Lens: 5-20 mm
Shot at 5 mm (shot wide open)
Exposure: Auto exposure, 1/13 sec, f/2.8, ISO 200
Flash: Off, Did not fire
Focus: Single, Manual AF point selection, with a depth of field of from 0.2 m to infinity.
AF Area Mode: Single-point AF

Then I used Photoshop to edit things like brightness, contrast, exposure, intensity, and saturation.

If you want to share any other feedback please don't forget to answer as well the question at the top of this thread.

Thanks in advance :).

Last edited:
I like the strongly dark contrasted background in the first shot. The background is a bit muddy in the second shot.

But at the same time... the art is a bit too dark in the first shot. I feel like you needed to kick a little more light into that lower dark area.

Thanks TCampbell! I'm interested in trying out increasing the light where you mentioned. I can do that in PhotoShop CS6, right? Would you mind explaining a bit about how can I do it?

It's better to have used, or reshoot using a real light, but you could use the Dodge tool in Ps.

Also - please choose an edit preference for your profile, either OK to edit or NOT OK to edit.

Thanks. I'll check out the dodge tool. I've set my account to "Photos OK to edit".

TCampbell, could you please edit version A and show me what you had in mind?

Hi Gerardo,

I like the way you have framed your art. The colors are very nice, the framing of the piece at the bottom of the frame adds the weight, the "heavy block" you desired.

I agree with @TCampbell , just a bit more light at the bottom, and you could still keep the fold in shadow.

Overall I think it's very classy. Nice work.

Instead of asking which one is better, why not simply ask for C&C? (Comment and Critique)

Both could use some tender loving light, and neither one is what I would say is a photograph that showcases your artwork to the best advantage.

Check out the threads that outline how best to structure your photographs for critique, and then study light.

Hi Gerardo,

I like the way you have framed your art. The colors are very nice, the framing of the piece at the bottom of the frame adds the weight, the "heavy block" you desired.

I agree with @TCampbell , just a bit more light at the bottom, and you could still keep the fold in shadow.

Overall I think it's very classy. Nice work.
Thanks zulu42! I'm really flatered. I think I see what you mean, the subject is at the bottom of the frame expresses heaviness, right?

Check out the threads that outline how best to structure your photographs for critique, and then study light.

Thanks for the feedback Designer. Do you mean the threads you linked for me on my other thread?

Thanks for the feedback Designer. Do you mean the threads you linked for me on my other thread?
Yes.

My main concern is that if you keep trying for a good photograph sort of "on your own", without getting help from other photographers, you may or may not hit upon a good photograph, and if you do, will you know it was due to good judgement/technique/background, or possibly random good luck.

By getting the opinions and suggestions of other photographers, and studying whatever they recommend, you are sure to grow in the hobby. This forum has some real-life examples right here in membership land who have not only grown tremendously in skills, but who are also very willing to help anyone.

@Gerardo_G , I personally feel that "B" is your stronger of the two simple because your subject is light better. You still have some deep darks but don't lose detail that you have lost in "A". If you burn the background a little to draw focus to you subject even more I think it will have a great effect on your image. I also like the monochromatic look to "B".

I would have tried a small blended lightsource hidden from behind to get a kind of soft glow effect in pic A. That way you get a floating subject. (kind of 3d) I think that would point more attention at the subject. Pic B looks like a dusty dark room.

Most reactions

Back