Which one do you like best?

Ratman667

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Website
www.ratmansreptiles.com
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am entering a photo contest on one of the reptile forums that I am a member of. The theme is, "Fall". Since Florida doesn't have one, I had to use a store bought Fall. Since this is for a reptile forum, the photo I submit must contain a reptile.

The props I used are: 2 - 16" tiles for the floor and background, a stem of "Oak" leaves, a stem of "Sunflowers" and two small gourds.

Lighting was one 75w "Daylight" CFL in a 10" reflector.

Which photo do you think is the best? C&C is welcome, but not required.

DSC_6565-1.jpg

DSC_6561-1.jpg

DSC_6559-1.jpg

DSC_6553-1.jpg

I did notice that the focus is a bit soft on these. However, seeing that this is an ameture contest, I don't think it will matter. Over the last few months, I have noticed that the winners have always had the, "cutest" animal poses. Last month for example, the the winning shot was badly over exposed.

#2, it has the best focus on the reptile.

#2 is prolly the best angle (I'm assuming these are a male and female leopard gecko? correct me if I'm wrong) and pose but I also like the composition of #4 and the fact that you can see the animal walking through the scene instead of just standing there.

#2 is prolly the best angle (I'm assuming these are a male and female leopard gecko? correct me if I'm wrong) and pose but I also like the composition of #4 and the fact that you can see the animal walking through the scene instead of just standing there.

They are both female leopard geckos. The gecko in 1 & 2 is a Murphy Patternless and the other is a Hyper-Xanthic.

What they all said, 2 is the best shot of the gecko.

If its a web comp and your submitting at this exact size, try a high pass sharpen at 0.5 pixels and set the layer to overlay, that will sharpen it quite well. Maybe also a cooling filter (LBB) set at around 17% to cool it slightly.

What they all said, 2 is the best shot of the gecko.

If its a web comp and your submitting at this exact size, try a high pass sharpen at 0.5 pixels and set the layer to overlay, that will sharpen it quite well. Maybe also a cooling filter (LBB) set at around 17% to cool it slightly.

Here is #2 with the alterations you suggested. I had to lower the opacity of the second layer, to keep the saturation from being overbearing.

DSC_6561-1-1.jpg

Ah ok gotchya, I used to own one when I was younger but had forgotten about the differences which lead me to assuming maybe the lighter one was the female.

Looks better, did you sharpen it yet?

Ive compared the one I did, and it doesnt look like it?

Here it is with exactly what you suggested:

DSC_6561-11.jpg

On the previous one, I used Smart Sharpen at 100% and 0.5 px.

Thanks for pointing that tool out too me. I never would have thought to use it. I would have saw the grey screen and hit undo. lol

Last edited:
Sweet, glad to be of help, just compared them, your's looks better than mine colour and contrast, I got a little more detail on the scales around the mouth area, so you could selectively sharpen a touch more in that area.

Actually, I would probably just selectively sharpen the gecko from the front legs perhaps.

Most reactions

Back