Which one is better idea for you?

Trangela

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Hello everybody, I wanna buy a new DSLR, but I cannot decide what I should buy. I am able to reduce the alternatives. Nevertheless, I cannot select any of them so I want to help you. Which one is better for you to buy a Nikon D7100 with 18-105 VR or Canon 650D with 18-135 IS? If I select Canon, I will save a certain amount of money to buy a better lens.
But the most important question, is it important to upgrade the DSLR from entry-level to medium-level. If it is, then I think I should buy Nikon.
What do you think about this, please help me. I think this topic helps the others who want to buy a first DSLR. Thank you, have a good day.

Try both of them if you have the opportunity. Then buy the one that feels right.

Sparky has good advice, as always. When starting out, don't be in a hurry to commit to a system. You don't know what you don't know. So learn the basics, and when you see where your basic setup is holding you back, THEN look at the system that is best at the type of shooting you'll find yourself doing more and more of.

I think this topic helps the others who want to buy a first DSLR.

This might help others if this was the first time this question was asked.
As it happens, this question is asked in some form on a daily basis right here.
You will get the same answer that everyone gets:
Read the actual reviews, decide what features are important, pick the cameras that best fits your interests and pocketbook and then handle the actual camera to see which one feels best in our hands.

Welcome!

Nikon D7100 with the 18-105.

Try both of them if you have the opportunity. Then buy the one that feels right.

Sparky has good advice, as always. When starting out, don't be in a hurry to commit to a system. You don't know what you don't know. So learn the basics, and when you see where your basic setup is holding you back, THEN look at the system that is best at the type of shooting you'll find yourself doing more and more of.

You will get the same answer that everyone gets:
Read the actual reviews, decide what features are important, pick the cameras that best fits your interests and pocketbook and then handle the actual camera to see which one feels best in our hands.

Welcome!

Nikon D7100 with the 18-105.
Thanks a lot to all of you..

Hold them in your hands!!!!!
Reach the controls and see how it feels. Unless you're looking to be a professional then it's all about what feels the best and is most enjoyable for you.
Many of us that have been at this for quite a while are into Nikon or Canon or whatever mostly because we have boxes of lenses and "stuff" that goes with that brand.
Example: I have a Nikon 85mm 1.8 from the sixties that even though manual is still a fine lens.

Last edited:
...........Example: I have a Nikon 85mm 1.8 from the sixties that even though manual is still a fine lens.

Of course, Canon users with lenses from the sixties have a fine collection of Glass-Filled Fiberous-Document Anchors. :highly_amused:

Hello everybody, I wanna buy a new DSLR, but I cannot decide what I should buy. I am able to reduce the alternatives. Nevertheless, I cannot select any of them so I want to help you. Which one is better for you to buy a Nikon D7100 with 18-105 VR or Canon 650D with 18-135 IS? If I select Canon, I will save a certain amount of money to buy a better lens.
But the most important question, is it important to upgrade the DSLR from entry-level to medium-level. If it is, then I think I should buy Nikon.
What do you think about this, please help me. I think this topic helps the others who want to buy a first DSLR. Thank you, have a good day.
These are two different categories of cameras.

The 650D is an older entry level DSLR. It is for people who simply want a better camera, or are really new to photography and arent sure if they want to do more with it and want a camera thats relatively easy to operate. For more experienced photographers, these cameras are slower to operate, require frequent menu surfing, and lack advanced features.

The D7100 is an older semiprofessional / enthusiast DSLR. It offers good controls that allow using the camera without "menu surfing", in fact some argue the controls are better than those for more expensive models (U1/U2 quick access). This is a camera for people who want to use their camera on a daily basis. The D7100 will have a lot more reserves, too, such as better autofocus, more battery life, a second memory card slot for backup or overflow, and weather sealing (not sure if the 650D has it or not, but the lesser Nikons dont have it).

Whats better for you depends upon what you want to do with photography in future. Just realize that the higher you get in camera quality, the less automatics are present and the less the camera the will do things automatically for you.

When I started with DSLRs, I got a TON of missed pictures at first, until I learned to actually operate the camera well.

This.

Be welcome to the forum!

Hello everybody, I wanna buy a new DSLR, but I cannot decide what I should buy. I am able to reduce the alternatives. Nevertheless, I cannot select any of them so I want to help you. Which one is better for you to buy a Nikon D7100 with 18-105 VR or Canon 650D with 18-135 IS?

I'd go with: "Nikon D7100 with 18-105 VR". A good alternative to some save $$ is the 'D5200/D5300/D5500 with 18-105 VR'. They have the same sensor of the D7100. As an example, here is the quality that a D5200 can produce: Nikon D5200 - an album on Flickr

Depends on you. If you fall in love by DSLR photography, you know you will end up upgrading in the future. If it will be just minor hobby, it doesn't really matter, and you probably won't upgrade. For those willing to upgrade, the Nikon system has some benefits, but anyhow, do focus on buying FX (fullframe) lenses, if you know you will upgrade in the future.

Whats better for you depends upon what you want to do with photography in future. Just realize that the higher you get in camera quality, the less automatics are present and the less the camera the will do things automatically for you.
I'd go with: "Nikon D7100 with 18-105 VR". A good alternative to some save $$ is the 'D5200/D5300/D5500 with 18-105 VR'. They have the same sensor of the D7100. As an example, here is the quality that a D5200 can produce: Nikon D5200 - an album on Flickr

Depends on you. If you fall in love by DSLR photography, you know you will end up upgrading in the future. If it will be just minor hobby, it doesn't really matter, and you probably won't upgrade. For those willing to upgrade, the Nikon system has some benefits, but anyhow, do focus on buying FX (fullframe) lenses, if you know you will upgrade in the future.
Thank you for your help.
I think it is unnecessary to think about that quite a long time. All of them are similar. Just go and buy.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back