Which one to get?

-JD-

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Heya people,

So I have a little problem. I am new to photography and I want to buy a camera but I don't have a clue which one to buy. I was thinking about getting the Nikon D60 because my brother has one and I like it. Not sure if it's the best on in my priceclass (400-600 euro). So I thought I'd ask you guys which one is the best on to get.

Thanks in advance,

JD

JD,

Sorry but there is no 'best one' without asking, "best one for what?"

You can't go far wrong with the D60 in your price range. You get the added benefit of being able to look to your brother for help figuring out how to use all the features the camera offers.

One of my cameras is a D60 and I use it as my daily carry camera because it is compact and light weight though I have a battery grip on mine as I like how it handles with the extra weight and gripping surface.

you should get the D60 becouse it is very light and you can use it for every day

i'm a D60 owner..and have been able to get some amazing pics as of late...
and its my carry-around..but...really, the only SLR I have is the D60, so i use it for everything.

but its quite good for the price.

i've been doing some portraits lately with it...and it does well.

Yeah, if you say you've used your brothers and you really like it, then get it! You could probably get better camera's in your price class but if your just starting out there's not much need to.

I gotta say, I like my D60. Its one of my favorites, Its so small and light, that its really easy to tote around for a full day of shooting, and that's even with the extended battery grip on it.

And if your brother has one....you can share lenses!!!!

D60 isn't the best in class, in fact it's fairly poor value for money, however as your bro has one does make sense as you can share lenses with him.

I think the D60 will go down in history as one of the most underrated camera's of all time. Most of it is due to that Rockwell fellow, and his misinformed statements.

I think alot of people just assume its short on performance which just really isnt true. Its a hot little camera for the price.

Its got the same blistering fast processor as the D300 and D3, along with some of the features. For beginners, it has a really cool pop-up option that can give suggestions on what to do for certain photographic problems. The Active D-Lighting is really nice for pulling detail out of shadows. The in-camera RAW editing is freakin' awesome. A nice low ISO 100 option for those long exposure shots. It has fantastic color reproduction in JPEG mode which is just about EXACTLY like the RAW output, which means that Nikon really tweaked the jpeg compression algorithm about as good as it gets. The dynamic range is also very good, even beating out some of the higher end Nikons. I did the D60 dynamic range tests for one of the most comprehensive DR studies out there. You can view the results here... http://home.comcast.net/~nikond70/Investigations/Sensor_Characteristics.htm

My only complaint with the D60 is the lack of bracketing and perhaps the lack of a internal AF drive.

Thanks a lot for the responses :) I am getting the D60 as soon as I sell my computer (argh) :)

Yeah, if you say you've used your brothers and you really like it, then get it! You could probably get better camera's in your price class but if your just starting out there's not much need to.

A better camera for 600 euros? Maybe a used one, or a body only...Possibly the Xsi, but that is the only one in my opinion that is considered 'better' for the money which is still brand new. But, if you do want a used then yea, you could get a better camera.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back