• The Car

Votes: 12 50.0%

• Total voters

Neil S.

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos NOT OK to edit
Just to give you an idea how much $40,000 really is...

Hasselblad H4D-60 Digital SLR Camera (60 Megapixels)
$39,995
hasselblad_H4D-launch_1254332409650-copy.jpg

Nissan 370Z NISMO version (350 HP)
$39,610
z-coupe-14-1280.jpg

i would take the car for sure.

Man, I'd take the camera...I already have a car...but I don't have a digital Hassy!

Man, I'd take the camera...I already have a car...but I don't have a digital Hassy!

LOL

Now theres a TRUE photographer! :lol:

Derrel...

I have been looking at info on the D7000 for an hour or so now and I got to say, its the kind of body that will make you want to change systems lol.

I do love my 7D though, and am looking forward to what the 5D mk III will bring...

If people ask me whats a good camera to start out with, I will probably be saying the D7000 for now at least.

Neil

Camera no question. Though both will lose value over time I have a real shot at making money with the Hassy either shooting or renting it out. Nothing exciting about the Z since they dropped the twin turbos.

I guess I'm more pragmatic. I find myself wondering which would be easier to sell and fetch the highest price.

Damn. I can't even daydream very well.

-Pete

LOL no cheating.

You have to keep it...

Ya I guess its human nature to think about selling it, buying other stuff/paying off debt, etc.

Derrel...

I have been looking at info on the D7000 for an hour or so now and I got to say, its the kind of body that will make you want to change systems lol.

I do love my 7D though, and am looking forward to what the 5D mk III will bring...

If people ask me whats a good camera to start out with, I will probably be saying the D7000 for now at least.

Neil

Yeah..the system-changing bodies...those DO come along every so often. You might want to talk to Buckster about the 7D versus 5D-II issues...he has some insight into that entire issue. No doubt, the Nikon D7000 looks like a VERY good performer for $1199...it's a "new generation" enthusiast's camera from Nikon...Nikon works very hard to produce what its executives think is the best camera body that they can make for a particular segment of the market, and then they allow that body to maintain its position in the lineup for a reasonable length of time, until they can really out-do the model with its follow-up model. The switch from the D90 to the D7000 is sort of a tip-off that the D100-D70-D80-D90 lineage has been ended...this is a new era for Nikon. The Canon 20D was a similar model for Canon, as was the original 5D--both of those Canon models got a LOT of wedding shooters to drop Nikon in favor of Canon, as well as thousands of hobby shooters.

Periodically, one camera maker will develop a really new, better, or different product. Or will incorporate a LOT of advances, such as moving the D90 class from 11-area AF to 39-point AF and a brand-new AF module with over 2x the number of color-measuring sites, to be able to do follow focusing via color-awareness, or the way the D200 model introduced Ai- and AI-s lens metering compatibility AND the PRO-level 51-point autofocus, not the 11-point or 5-point AF of the prior models in the same class. The D7000 apparently looks, and feels, and behaves much more like a D300s, and statistically, it has passed the D300s in several metrics.

A few years ago, Canon was clearly ahead of Nikon in camera sensor performance. I think the pendulum has swung the other way now. As far as the 5D Mark III--Canon needs to do some serious thinking there...they need a better-focusing better-handling, better-designed body in their lineup...the 5D is a $359 EOS Elan with a $2,000 sensor in it...I think the 5D-II's successor body needs to be up-specified a bit more, with better autofocusing coverage, faster frame rate, and a few other tweaks. I kind of think the 5D line will end with the Mark II, and a new model will be introduced, featuring some of the higher-tech features, like color-aware light metering, wider-area AF system, and so on.

I think a lot of the new Canon efforts, like upgrading the light metering to measuring color of subjects will help get better exposures and better flash results, and I think the 7D's advancements will sort of form the basis for the 5D-II's successor model.

Camera... all day long. I've worked on cars for years... after a while, they all started looking the same to me. An engine, a body, blah, blah, blah. I'll drive around that Hasselblad in my Chevy G20 Van til the wheels fall off.

I think a lot of the new Canon efforts, like upgrading the light metering to measuring color of subjects will help get better exposures and better flash results, and I think the 7D's advancements will sort of form the basis for the 5D-II's successor model.

This is pretty insightful stuff here Derrel. We can always count on your knowledge and experience.

Ya I agree that Canon needs to be focused on improving their metering. The 7D has a new metering system for Canon though, and its pretty good at least compared to the crappy one that was on my 30D. I know Nikon has better metering btw.

You may very well be right that there wont be a 5D mk III. I will be looking to buy the "5D mk II replacement" whatever they name it. I am already invested in Canon glass, and it would take a hell of a lot to make me change systems at this point.

Neil

I'd take the camera, but then I'd be beggered having to get lenses for it :(
But then if I took the car insurance and petrol would begger me as well :(

So in the end I'd far rather be beggered to lenses than to insurance salesmen and the government ;) (plus large formate macro photography!:)

Most reactions

Back