Which One?

@vintagesnaps, my workflow is to start with any exposure adjustments, followed by WB correction. My monitor is calibrated biweekly, and before an image is posted to the web, I double check how it looks on multiple devices. I'm not doubting your abilities to discern hues, or casts, I'm just not seeing it to the degree that you appear to be. However the more eyes that review the better because when working on these it's easy for me to get tunnel vision.

One comment on WB though, when I started the conversion from film to digital I assumed that WB was a static term, that deviating from matching the color temperature exactly to the scene was paramount. I've since learned that color temperature is dynamic, nothing more than a design tool to be used at the artist's discretion. Used creatively you can change the entire mood of an image, split the temperature of the highlights and shadows, even spot change the temperature within an image.

In my OP post I stated that these were "custom" as in my own design profiles. Later on I did say they are "variations" of a Portra, and Illford simulation, but didn't mean to imply they were supposed to look exactly like. My goal ultimately is to develop a unique Profile, that pleases me. A Profile that can be applied quickly across multiple images that will maintain a certain level of uniformity, but unlike Presets not affect the Develope module settings in Lr.

Last edited:
smoke here are my period dress photos for you to view and see what you think

Attachments

• period dress webc.jpg
    period dress webc.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 75
  • period dress webbw.jpg
    period dress webbw.jpg
    203 KB · Views: 79
my period dress photos for you to view and see what you think

Tough call. The color version like my example above, gives more detail on costume and face then the black and white. I'm actually thinking that this might be better if you desaturated the color and brought up the blacks a tad, sort of a cinematic vibe. I dont know what processing software you're using or your skill level, but one thing hurting the "period" feel is the background. Burning it down, replacing it, etc. would help tremendously.

Hi Smoke this was a quick convert to b&w I am using PSE 9 Skill level not a lot with PS still learning but the skill level has risen since I started which is a good thing. This pic was from a day trip to see the Tall ships and is just a memory of the day.. a grab the moment pic. I will try your ideas out thanks

I think the color version captures the moment. #1 for me.

I like the color one best. It show the purple ice, the purple drip and those cute painted nails.

Yeah - color. You just lose the drippy chin with B&W

I found it interesting that so many comments found the color preferable not because of the processing, but because of the little ice drip on the chin. I removed it from the B&W,(I see now that I didn't do the best job either) because it didn't show up well.

IMO that's a testament to the importance of a strong focal point. In a composition be it art or photography, you create a focal point using contrast, isolation, placement, convergence, and the unusual. Apparently the ice drop in the color version hit all of these.

It tells a story. Without it, it's just s kid with a cup; with it, it's a kid that has been enjoying what is in the cup.

#1 for me but am I the only one that gets the impression she is a little stiff due to posing? Maybe it's just me but I think she could look more natural with the eyes less fixated. Otherwise, it's a nice pic.

#1 for me but am I the only one that gets the impression she is a little stiff due to posing? Maybe it's just me but I think she could look more natural with the eyes less fixated. Otherwise, it's a nice pic.

No pose, she was zoned out, watching some kids behind me. I wasn't even on her radar.

I think that the color version of the photo is quite a bit better than the black-and-white versions, for several reasons such as the Two colors of nail polish she has on, and its chipped state, the delicate bruisings she has around her knees, and the single drop Of flavored syrup that dangles from her chin. All of these things are remarkably more noticeable in color than they are in black-and-white

Most reactions

New Topics

Back