which package to get?

timbo7

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Well me and my wife are finally going to get a DSLR. Ive been doing most of the research and this will be our first DSLR. We have both used P&S in the past. Ive never actually used one besides like playing with one of my friends but I never actually had time with one. Ive read nothing but good reviews on the Nikon D40. I went to best buy yesterday to play with it but I think since it was a display model it was messed up. All the pictures were fuzzy. Im going to go to Ritz Camera either tonite or tomorrow and hopefully they will have a nicer display. Im not looking to become a professional photographer but like good quality pictures from either, vacations that we take together, wedding (not taking for bride and groom just as a spectator) and we go to motorcycle stung shows on occasion. My old P&S never seems to capture a good image when a bike goes flying by on one wheel doing 45mph.

So, were pretty decided on the D40 but im not sure which package to get. At Ritz Camera they offer two different packages for the D40. Here are the links for them. Im not sure if we should spend the extra money and get the better lens or if the cheaper one would do what I need.

sorry for being so long just alittle unsure. TIA for the help :thumbup:

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1172.htm?GSESID=g2ppgrmdspdniz45vnvtqn45&GSID=4387101&GSCID=1

http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/SLR1160.htm?GSESID=g2ppgrmdspdniz45vnvtqn45&GSID=4387101&GSCID=1

I got the second package (NON-VR) about a month ago and am in love with it. I'm not sure about the difference in build quality, but I'm just fine without the VR. I've never need to use the VR in a low light situation. It really depends on what you're using it for to justify the extra $$$ on the VR. Even if I had the VR, for wedding and motorcycle shots, I'd get the 50mm F1.8/F1.4 anyways.

Whatever package you get, you will really enjoy it. It's a fun little camera and works great.

Welcome to the forum.

"Which ______ should I get" is probably the most ask question around here. Try a search and see what you can come up with.

I went to best buy yesterday to play with it but I think since it was a display model it was messed up. All the pictures were fuzzy
we go to motorcycle stung shows on occasion. My old P&S never seems to capture a good image when a bike goes flying by on one wheel doing 45mph

A new D40 probably won't solve those issues for you...but some basic knowledge of photography will. A good camera will certainly allow you to put the knowledge to use though.

I would also suggest picking up a book on photography/exposure. 'Understanding Exposure' by Brian Peterson, gets lots of good reviews around here.

Congratulations on deciding to get a DSLR. Although compact digital cameras these days have many great features, stylish colors and - of course - are small enough to fit into a pocket, to me the Nikon DSLR's are the world's best cameras. And these days, they're affordable enough for anyone since they will last a lifetime.

A little over a year ago, I myself purchased the Nikon D40 with the 18-55mm lens only from Ritz Camera (when the 2-lens package option wasn't yet available). I bought the Nikkon 55-200mm VR lens separately. Both the camera and Nikkor lenses are great! For me, the Vibration Reduction option is essential if you ever think you'll be taking shots in relatively low-light conditions at maximum zoom. The VR option steadies the image appreciably.

Depending on your budget, you may want to consider the Nikon D60. It's a little more expensive, but the technology is over a year newer and you get more features plus 10.2 megapixels... enough to blow up your shots to 8x10 or even poster size without getting any noticeable graininess, if you should ever want to. The Nikon D60 comes in a similar 2-lens package (non-VR) as the D40.

Enjoy your new DSLR... I'm sure this is one purchase you'll never regret.

Phillip Dale - Tech Buys
rctracker.jpg

thanks for the help guys. I went with the second one without the VR. Its a blast so far and i havent even used it outside my house yet. This upcoming weekend i will hopefully be able to get out and get some good shots. Theres so much to learn.

Most reactions

Back