Which prime lens is best?

rachelrach11

No longer a newbie, moving up!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
I am FINALLY getting my very first DSLR ( Nikon D7000). I basically wanted a lens for portraits and Several people have recommend a 50mm 1.4 prime lens.

I have come across two different 50mm 1.4 lenses ( Nikkor 50mm 1.4G SIC SW and Nikkor 50mm 1.4D AF) and I can't seem to understand which would work best with this particular camera.

Ive learned that the SIC means "Super Integrated Coating " but what is the difference between the G (auto focus) and the AF in the 1.4D? I've tried researching this a little and I can't seem to quite understand the difference?

Ive noticed that the 1.4G SIC SW tends to be more pricey and I am curious if it is because it's a better lens?

Christie Photo said:
Niether of these lenses. For portaits of individuals and couple, an 85mm would be better. The 50mm would be fine for families or groups.

-Pete

Thanks ! Would the 85mm (being my only lens for a while) limit me to certain types of photos verses the 50mm? I apologize , I know I said earlier that I wanted it for portrait type shots, but being that it would be my only lens for a while, I wouldn't want to be "super" limited.

Yes, you will be limited in all types of shooting if you only have 1 prime lens, even if it's a 50 mm lens. For portraiture you will want to acquire the full range of lens focal lengths that are required for doing portraiture.

If you want just one lens that can cover a range of uses, get a zoom lens.

Consider the Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Christie Photo said:
Niether of these lenses. For portaits of individuals and couple, an 85mm would be better. The 50mm would be fine for families or groups.

-Pete

Her D700 has a DX sensor so the 50mm for portrait is the one format to get. (I she gets only one).

KmH said:
Yes, you will be limited in all types of shooting if you only have 1 prime lens, even if it's a 50 mm lens. For portraiture you will want to acquire the full range of lens focal lengths that are required for doing portraiture.

If you want just one lens that can cover a range of uses, get a zoom lens.

Consider the Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4.0D IF AF Zoom Nikkor Lens for Nikon Digital SLR Cameras

Thanks ! Your always so helpful! I've realized how pricey lenses can be. I definitely see myself having more of a variety in the future but for now, I wanted to spend the money on a lens that I would typically use the most.

I have gotten so overwhelmed looking online but I've noticed that so many photographers have mentioned that the 50mm 1.4 is the "go to "for low light portrait type photos.

If this is indeed the case, which 1.4 lens is best with the D7000 for these types of shots?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
At the end of the day, you will have to make do with whatever lens you decide to get.

Personally in your situation I would get the 50mm lens.

I assume you currently have a kit lens ? Set it at 50mm and try it. Then try again at 35mm. Etc. you will get a feel for the framing you get.

I think it's better to use supplemental lighting (flash) than to push lens aperture and camera ISO to their maximums to shoot portraits in low light.

Few prime lenses are at their sharpest when used wide open, and noise reduction often makes images look less than sharp.
If selective focus is your goal (shallow DoF), learn how lens focal length, point of focus distance, and background distance can be controlled to allow using smaller lens apertures.

Doing ambient light portraiture requires a fair amount of reflective supplemental lighting gear, but using flash gives the photographer more options and more control.

I would buy the 50mm f/1.8 AF-S G Nikkor instead of EITHER of those 50mm f/1.4 models. It costs around 50% less, and offers 90% of the performance of the 1.4-G model, and equals or betters the 50mm 1.4 AF-D model. Now, if you decide that you want a 24-85mm lens, you might as well get the newest one, the relatively "brand new" 24-85, which has AF-S focusing, AND Vibration Reduction (VR-II), which makes it a lens you can shoot at slower speeds, hand-held, and also get nice,smooth panning pictures with. Plus--and this is huge--it is NOT a prime lens...it's a zoom.

Yep agree with Derrel about the f1.8G version vs. the f1.4. Many consider the new G f1.8 as good as the f1.4. And I wouldn't be investing in more expensive glass until I got a handle on understanding my camera and learning more about lenses. It's about taking small steps until your skills and understanding develop to the point that you know what you need. I doubt you will be doing much portrait works at f1.4. More expensive isn't always the best course.

That is what so helpful starting with the kit zoom like the 18-105vr. Helps define your needs & style for future lens needs. And much more useful for general photography.

orb9220 said:
Yep agree with Derrel about the f1.8G version vs. the f1.4. Many consider the new G f1.8 as good as the f1.4. And I wouldn't be investing in more expensive glass until I got a handle on understanding my camera and learning more about lenses. It's about taking small steps until your skills and understanding develop to the point that you know what you need. I doubt you will be doing much portrait works at f1.4. More expensive isn't always the best course.

That is what so helpful starting with the kit zoom like the 18-105vr. Helps define your needs & style for future lens needs. And much more useful for general photography.

Thanks for the advice ! I will definitely look into the 1.8. Will I run into the same variety that I did with the 1.4? Are there any choices / added features with this particular lens for the D7000

Thanks for the advice ! I will definitely look into the 1.8. Will I run into the same variety that I did with the 1.4? Are there any choices / added features with this particular lens for the D7000
I'm not sure id this questions was answered for you:

As far as autofocusing, your D7000, has the autofocus motor so any AF or AF-S Nikkor will autofocus on your camera. The "D" lenses have an aperture ring and the "G" lenses do not. A "G" lens presents a handicap with an older film camera, but you don't need to worry about it on the digitals.

I have the AF 50mm f/1.4 D an am quite pleased with it. I bought it for my film camera and am using it (without autofocus) on a D40.

I bought the 50mm 1.8 AF-S G instead of the 50/1.4 because I do NOT shoot wide-open very much...hardly at ALL...when the light gets sucky...I bring in electronic flash...the MAIN advantage the 50/1.4-G has over the 1.8 G model is that the more-costly 1.4 is BETTER wide-open, and better at f/2 and better at f/2.8, than the lower-cost 50 1.8 AF-S G model. At least that is what Thom Hogan says (Thom Hogan's Nikon Camera, DSLR, Lens, Flash, and Book site). He says he is happy to use EITHER the 50 1.4 OR the 50 1.8 G-series lenses on his "best camera body", which at the time of the review was the D3x. So...if Thom says the 50/1.8 G is good up to 24 megapixel, that's good enough for me.

Your D7000 can use basically ANY autofocus 50mm lens that Nikon has made since the early 1980's...I dunno...I am not especially "impressed" by ANY Nikkor 50 I have ever owned, and I've had models made in the 60's,70's,80's,90's, and 2000's...ehhh...there is very little to differentiate a 50 1.8 AF made in 1988 from the new 1.8 AF-S G...I dunno...it's like choosing between cheap,white, "balloon bread"...or cheap, $5.99 per 2-litre table wine...in Nikon, the 50mm lens is basically "a commodity". Not to be flippant, but they are all the same...NONE of them seems particularly "outstanding" to me, regardless of era or price, AF or MF.

I use a f/1.8 AF G with my D7000 for portraiture. I like the DoF I get at 2.8 so 1.4 wouldn't make any difference for me. I like the Idea of a 24-85 zoom for a couple of reasons. 1) it is a great range for portraiture as well as groups. 24 is nor so wide that things look stretched out as they can with an 18. The other reason is that you can use it with a Full Frame camera like the new D600. So if you decide in the future to go with a FF instead of DX you already have a good piece of glass you can use with it.

Most reactions

New Topics

Back