Which Programs do you use ?

Sirene

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
For editing and for organizing ?

I'm curious ;)

99% of my work gets done in lightroom.. organizing and editing.. the other 1% is editing, and it may get done in photoshop, if its something that lightroom cant do.

Aperture 2

99% of my work gets done in lightroom.. organizing and editing.. the other 1% is editing, and it may get done in photoshop, if its something that lightroom cant do.

Ditto.

Picasa is a lovely free alternative.

I have absolutely no experience with lightroom. Why do you prefer it over photoshop, and what version of photoshop do you have?

As for me, I do my organizing on my own...just creating folders and stuff on my Mac.

95% of editing is done on Photoshop CS3. I was able to get it free because I sponsor the photography club at my high school (well, "free" means the school paid for it). The other 5% is done in Photoshop Elements. I find straightening easier in Elements as well as resizing the photos for web sites.

I have absolutely no experience with lightroom. Why do you prefer it over photoshop, and what version of photoshop do you have?

I use CS2, I prefer lightroom because it really speeds up my workflow.
- Allows you to organize with high-res previews
- Your edits are non-destructive
- Create your own presents, copy+paste effects from photo to photo
- Plugins make exporting to flickr/facebook effortless.
- Easily compare before/after
- FAST!

AUZambo, download a free copy of Picasa (from Google), it'll give you a taste of non-destructive, photo management. It doesn't have all the features Lightroom does, but for the average user it makes management/simple edits a breeze. It also has plugins where you can download to your favourite photo sharing sites.

I'm curious ;)
before becoming proficient in marathon sessions of PhotoShop, spend that many hours learning to take great shots first, instead of the shoot whatever and photoshop to death mentality. As far as organizing, there are a mryiad of ways to do so, most already mentioned. Just my opinion, but PS or other editing programs should be used like salt or pepper, sparingly, not to make photographers out of (some) people, who barely understand their camera. Not trying to be antagonistic here, just concerns me how many people in the beginners forum are ready to jump right into photoshop, or some other editing program, before learning to take great shots, then using PS to either clean up a little here and there, or be extremely artistic, when there is no other way to do so without a good editing program. Lastly, if you must, GIMP, includes a photo organizer, and much of the functionality of PhotoShop.....for free!...It's free open source software.

j.:mrgreen:

J.

Last edited:
I have begun using Lightroom 2 and I believe I will be using it for 95% of all my photo needs.
The other 5%, as already indicated by others, is more major editing which I will be doing in Photoshop CS3

I'm curious ;)
before becoming proficient in marathon sessions of PhotoShop, spend that many hours learning to take great shots first, instead of the shoot whatever and photoshop to death mentality. As far as organizing, there are a mryiad of ways to do so, most already mentioned. Just my opinion, but PS or other editing programs should be used like salt or pepper, sparingly, not to make photographers out of (some) people, who barely understand their camera. Not trying to be antagonistic here, just concerns me how many people in the beginners forum are ready to jump right into photoshop, or some other editing program, before learning to take great shots, then using PS to either clean up a little here and there, or be extremely artistic, when there is no other way to do so without a good editing program.

J.

Amen!

I'm curious ;)
before becoming proficient in marathon sessions of PhotoShop, spend that many hours learning to take great shots first, instead of the shoot whatever and photoshop to death mentality. As far as organizing, there are a mryiad of ways to do so, most already mentioned. Just my opinion, but PS or other editing programs should be used like salt or pepper, sparingly, not to make photographers out of (some) people, who barely understand their camera. Not trying to be antagonistic here, just concerns me how many people in the beginners forum are ready to jump right into photoshop, or some other editing program, before learning to take great shots, then using PS to either clean up a little here and there, or be extremely artistic, when there is no other way to do so without a good editing program.

J.

Amen!

Amen, amen!

For organization I use my SmugMug account, I couldn't find a photo on my computer is my life depended on it (OK, I probably 'could' but...) Every 'good' picture I take gets uploaded and organized.

In order of most used to least used:
Lightroom
Picasa
Photoshop
Photomatrix Pro
Noiseware Pro

I have a somewhat cheaper budget for editing software - though I respect it well as a powerfull part of image creation, its something that I put second place to glass, lighting and all the rest of gear - I can always edit a shot later, but I can't go back and take a shot I missed because of lacking the right gear.

So my current setup is simple;

Photoshop elements 6
Curves free addon - letting me get full curves editing, instead of the 4 point slider control in elements 6
Layermask free addon - a simple layermask feature. Though lacking the full featured support of proper photoshop it does let me use masks simply for a good effect
Combin ZM - free image stacking software to make focus stacked images (macro!)
Redynamizer, free trial - considered getting the full software, but for now I use the free trial (with its limitations).
Neat Image - again a trial bit of software, but again one I have considered purchasing. At the moment it sees little use since I can only use it well as a standalone outside photoshop (fullversion is an internal addon with all features). But a good strong noise removal program for when I need it.

I would like the bigger, more powerfull editing tools, but at the moment its a massive expense that I really feel is better spent on glass

organizing: windows xp
editing: raw conversion - raw therapee, any editing - photoshop 6

everything I have was free.

Most reactions

Back