Which ring light for me?

Bigfatts

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
Looking for a ring light to shoot macroes with. I shoot with a Canon S5iS and tend to shoot in the evening (after I get home from work). Here are the ones I'm looking at:

Phoenix DRLLD
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...&sku=425083&is=REG&si=rev#anchorToReadReviews

Opteka RL-300
http://cgi.ebay.com/Opteka-RL-300-M...39:1|66:2|65:12|240:1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

This is my price range, $100 or less. I know it's not alot to work with but I'm trying to finish building my car too so it is what it is. Any choices I missed in this range?

PS- If anyone has a used one they want to get rid of, speak up as well.

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i think you answered your own question when you stated your price range.. however opteka is kind of a low quality... they are kind of a budget company.. you get what you pay for.

Yea, I know. But unfortunately photography takes a backseat to me car. I have to get it done, I have a certain guy with an SRT-4 Neon that needs his mouth shut. But anyways, so out of the two, the Phoenix would be the better choice? The reviews I've seen on it have been good.

I don't need anything fancy, I just need portable light that isn't going to be too harsh and wash out my macro shots. My onboard flash is kind of harsh, even on the lower settings.

Last edited:
Not to thread jack, but what do you drive?

I drive a 1988 LX Mustang Coupe. It's got a mild 331 stroker in it with a Tremec T5 with a B&M Pro Ripper short throw behind it with 4.10s in the rear. Getting ready to do a head/cam/intake swap. Have a set of Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads with a matching TFS Track Heat intake waiting to go on with 24lb injectors (might go ahead with 30lbers) and a 73mm mass air. Just making the final selections on my cam. Really what I'm saving money for is a puddle jumper car to drive back and forth to work. My economy is going to take a dive with the new top end. As it is now I get roughly 20mpg if I keep my foot out of it and keep it below 3 grand. When I ran the guy with the SRT4 last time I stayed right with him but he said he was losing boost. Well now it's fixed and he wants to race again. Next time there will be no contest. Here's a crappy pic:

IMG_4206.jpg

IMG_4207.jpg

Still looking for info on the ring light too.

Most reactions

Back