Which standard zoom lens would you recommend?

khaymond

TPF Noob!
Reaction score
[h=2]Which standard zoom lens would you recommend?[/h]
I am in the market for a new lens and debating between these four lenses:

Sigma 17 - 50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Auto Focus Wide Angle Zoom Lens
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II VC (Vibration Compensation) LD Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens
Nikon 24-85mm f/2.8-4 IF AF-D Nikkor Wide - Telephoto Zoom Lens with Hood
Sigma - 24-70mm f/2.8 IF EX DG HSM Autofocus Lens for Nikon AF

My main purpose for this lens would be family portraits, children, couples...

I already own a 50mm 1.4, but I need to be able to zoom out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Kristie​

Well, if you ever intend to upgrade to a full frame camera either the Sigma or the Nikon. The Nikon lens is not one I am familiar with so I can't tell you a thing about it, but I am sure the nikon shooters will be in to help there.
The Sigma OS version is a phenomenal lens. The NON-OS version didn't impress me over the Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 so I went with the Tamron.

Sigma 17-50mm F/2.8 OS HSM. It's a brilliant lens in all aspects. Corner resolution could be better, but it's the same with most standard zooms.

The AF of the Tamron is shabby, and sometimes inaccurate.
The Nikon is a FX lens, causing it to be quite long compared to the Sigma..and has a variable aperture.
The Sigma 24-70 is a good alternative, if you are planning on getting an FX camera soon. But the Tamron 28-75 is a better choice if that is the case.

Mark

Currently I have a Nikon D90 and plan on staying with it.

I'm still learning about full frame vs what? focal length 1.5? would that be correct terminology? I was told that 1.5 makes my 50mm really like a 75mm. True? False? Or I'm dumb?

Thanks for the input so far!

Your camera has a 1.5x crop factor. Your 50mm F/1.4 has a 50mm focal length. And yes, that's true about the actual field of view difference. The sensor in a full frame camera equivalent to the size of 35mm film. The sensor in your 1.5x crop factor is smaller than that. So, when using lenses that are designed for full frame cameras, your sensor isn't big enough to capture the entire image. It only gets the centermost part, and the edges of the image that the lens gives aren't touching the sensor, since the area covered by the image is larger than your sensor. Hopefully I didn't confuse you too much with that. Because of this, your camera effectively "zooms" in the image 1.5x further than the given focal length. It remains the same on any lens. Your Sigma 17-50mm will be the equivalent of a 26-75mm lens on a full frame camera.

I hope that's not too jumbled. I'm sure someone like Overread or Derrel will pop in with a much better answer. :blushing:
Mark

Ok,
That helps me focus on these two:

Sigma 17 - 50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM Auto Focus Wide Angle Zoom Lens
Tamron SP AF 17-50mm f/2.8 XR DI-II VC (Vibration Compensation) LD Aspherical (IF) Zoom Lens

I need to be able to get a wide shot.

Thanks! I'm learning so much on this website!

When it says this regarding lenses: For use with smaller chip APS-c digital cameras only

Does that apply to the Nikon D90?

Yes. The D90 has an APS-C sensor. The alternative is an FX sensor, which is full frame. Think about the sensor size this way. If you projected a photo of a flower, petals and center, onto a dinner plate to fit perfectly. That would be the same as a full frame sensor. Then, say you put a saucer ontop of that dinner plate. The part of the photo that covers the saucer may only be the center part of the flower. The petals are now missing, as if you zoomed the first image in by 1.5x. This is exactly how the different sized sensors work. The projected image from the lens is still the same, but the sensor picks up a smaller portion of it, creating the illusion that it is zoomed in further than it is. So, a 50mm lens on a 1.5x crop sensor gives you the same image that a full frame sensor would with a 75mm lens. Maybe that cleared it up a little.

Mark

Most reactions

Back