What's new

Which to get? Canon Rebel XTi or Canon Rebel XT? help please

westerngirl14

TPF Noob!
Joined
Oct 5, 2010
Messages
115
Reaction score
1
Location
United States
Can others edit my Photos
Photos OK to edit
okay... so I need some helpful advice from ya'll photography pros.:D I have been given great offers on both a Canon Rebel XTi and a Canon Rebel XT. Both come with most of the "extras", and 18-55 mm lens. Price on the XTi is $600, and price on the XT is $400.
Both have been gently used by professionals; and are in like-new condition.

So.. what is your opinion on this? I am new to photography and this would be my first DSLR.

Or are either one of these not the camera for me? I am basically a newbie looking for advice. I definitely want a Canon; I have a friend with a Canon Rebel which I just LOVE, so I am looking along the same line, and found these offers plopped in my lap. Whaddya think?
 
For less than $600 you can have a T1i refurbished by Canon with a one year warranty from Adorama. It comes with all the 18-55 kit lens and all the stuff a new one would come with. If you're wanting a Rebel that's the way I would go. Actually, it is the way I went, and I'm pretty happy with it.

Thanks so much for the input! I will add the T1i to my research list. I want to be VERY sure what type to get before I take the leap, as this will be my first dSLR.
 
I would still recommend at least holding the other brands in your hands and see which one feels the most comfortable and make sure the layout is what you like. All I can think of in that range is the Nikon D3000/D3100.
 
I actually own an XTi.

The PIMP
-10.2 megapixels, that's a lot of real-estate even by today's standards. The XT is only like 6 or 8 or something.
-ALL Canon EF lenses from 1987 onward will work on it (that's a Canon thing though)
-Sensor Cleaner, built in. The XT does not have this. It has a built-in sensor cleaner that gets dust off the image sensor, quite effective too
-The noise reduction setting is pretty effective but I've only tested it to ISO 400
-1.6x crop sensor turns a 300mm to a 480mm effective length and gives you more reach
-EXCELLENT back-up body if you go full-frame or upgrade



The GIMP
-Plastic construction = do NOT drop it
-1.6x crop sensor, so all the EF-S lenses you have or buy won't work on a full-frame like a 5d or a 1d if you upgrade
-Uses overpriced Compact Flash memory, although I prefer it to SD cards if I'm shooting a DSLR
-I'm kind of stretching here

I'd get the XTi, although the refurb T1i, which is pretty much a 15mp XTi that does HD video, will have had a thorough inspection at Canon's repair shop. They did my XTi when two of the PC boards failed on the ****ING LAST NIGHT LAUNCH OF THE SPACE SHUTTLE FFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU :thumbdown: :lmao: but new cameras are batch inspected while refurbs are individually checked out for defects and historically have a longer life. They pretty much rip them apart and look for stuff to go bad, from what I have gathered.
 
I had an XTi before getting my T1i. Despite being pretty much the definition of entry level, it really is a nice camera. I like to think that I took some great pictures with mine even without having a clue what I was doing. The XTi feels much more solid than some of the newer models, which I personally liked. I never had any problems with it and I used it in some pretty extreme conditions (all around the Middle East, in desert sand storms, got wet, etc.).


I have to say though, $600 for a used XTi really isn't a great deal. New shouldn't be much more than that. You also have to remember that the T1i is currently $699 from B&H NEW.
 
I had an XTi before getting my T1i. Despite being pretty much the definition of entry level, it really is a nice camera. I like to think that I took some great pictures with mine even without having a clue what I was doing. The XTi feels much more solid than some of the newer models, which I personally liked. I never had any problems with it and I used it in some pretty extreme conditions (all around the Middle East, in desert sand storms, got wet, etc.).


I have to say though, $600 for a used XTi really isn't a great deal. New shouldn't be much more than that. You also have to remember that the T1i is currently $699 from B&H NEW.

Same situation. I also had an XTi before upgrading. It's a great, durable entry-level SLR, but I definitely wouldn't pay upwards of $600 for it, especially not used. The model is definitely outdated, and there's better models out for the Canon line right now. Have you considered Nikon?
 
Thanks ya'll... In answer to some of your questions,yes, I have considered other brands,yet I am decided on a Canon! With the experience I have had with them, I am in LOVE. ;) I just... like them.

So from your feedback on here, I am definitely going for the Canon XTi. I have found one for $300, rather than $600...is that more reasonable? This one is used gently also. The only reason it is being sold is because the previous owner is starting a photography business and is upgrading. I know it's not the best, but I don't want to start out with the best. I have been reading reviews on the XTi, and have read the manual clear through, and I'm almost completely sure it's what I want.

Thanks so much for your input!
 
That is definitely a good deal.

I was by no means saying not to buy the XTi, just not to buy it for $600. I had mine stolen this past summer, if it wasn't for that I would still be using it.
 
Thanks! Glad to know it's a good deal, and more positive feedback on the XTi. I'm sorry yours got stolen - makes you wonder how anybody could just flat out steal something and be able to live with themselves. I'm sorry for you. :(
 
I have the xti as well. It's a great camera. But I would take the t1i over it for the same price like that guy said from adorama. The t1i is one of the upgraded models after xti
 
$300 for XTi is not bad at all. I sold my XTi kit few months ago for $360 with extra batteries and battery grip. So $300 is good price.
 
Both have been gently used by professionals; and are in like-new condition.
I don't know. Used by pro's? Both the XT and the XTI have shutters rated for only 50,000 actuations. A pro shooter would use up that many pretty quickly.

If much more than 10% of the shutter life has been used up you can't really call a camera "like-new."
 
A real pro wouldn't be using a Rebel anyway, even for a backup body...just sayin'. :P
 
There are "Pros" on this site using Fisher Price cameras...

The Rebels are very capable cameras. At 1/10 of the price (used XTi), you can't deny that they are a great gateway to the dSLR world.
 

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Log in

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom